Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MP4 Background videos not playing on Safari

Hello...

I have come across a possible issue with safari. I cannot play the background video on my website. When we first uploaded it the video worked fine but it is now not playing at all. The video works fine on chrome and firefox but not safari.

Here is an example of my website: http://www.thisisjamhot.com/

I have also tried to play it direct from the file (http://www.thisisjamhot.com/video/home-loop.mp4) but even that is not working.

I have tried 5 macs, all apart from 1 worked and that mac is running the same version of mac OS and Safari.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on Aug 17, 2016 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 6:27 AM

I had the same problem. I had a background video without sound on a website - layout video was running without problems. my editor sent me the video back after some changes with the logo. when i pasted the new video it wasn't running on safari only.

very easy solution for me: default preferences of safari with automatic play is "not allow play videos with sound"

when i allowed to play all media the video was running. my editor had export the new video with sound. after he exported it again without sound it was running automatically again.

so -> try to export your background video without sound (uncheck when export). as long your video has no sound it works.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2017 6:27 AM in response to brandon fromsittinbourne

I had the same problem. I had a background video without sound on a website - layout video was running without problems. my editor sent me the video back after some changes with the logo. when i pasted the new video it wasn't running on safari only.

very easy solution for me: default preferences of safari with automatic play is "not allow play videos with sound"

when i allowed to play all media the video was running. my editor had export the new video with sound. after he exported it again without sound it was running automatically again.

so -> try to export your background video without sound (uncheck when export). as long your video has no sound it works.

Aug 17, 2016 10:13 AM in response to brandon fromsittinbourne

Safari - Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

Safari/other browsers – Website not loading

Try going to Safari/Preferences/Extensions and disable all extensions. Quit Safari, reopen, and see if the website will now load. If so, enable extensions one or two at a time until you find which extension is causing the problem.

MP4 Background videos not playing on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.