Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why won't gifs animate in messages?

i have an iPhone 5s. I used to be able to save gifs in my camera roll and send them in text messages. I know that the gifs don't loop when I'm looking at them in the camera roll, but they used to be fine once I sent them on. Now, whenever I try to save and send a gif, it always mains a static image. What's weird is that this only started being the case a couple days ago. Any gifs I have in my camera roll before that time still work just fine once sent. any new gifs I try to save remain static, but I don't know why. I assume the files just aren't saving correctly, but I haven't changed any settings on my phone recently. I did run an ios update recently, but I cant recall if this aligns with the timing of my gif-saving problem. I saw somewhere that you have to have SMS/MMS enabled, which I had to go manually do. This helped for one instance of gif, but the. Immediately stopped working again. I've been Googling the heck out of this, but no one else seems to have had quite this issue. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.4

Posted on Aug 17, 2016 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2017 2:25 AM

yo !!!!! i've had this SAME exact issue, same exact phone. it used to never happen back in the day but i think one of the updates a while back messed up saving gifs. i can't save gifs anymore without it being a static image. the solution i found out to this is to just copy and paste the gif you want to use to the place you want to use it. for example: tumblr gifs always used to save for me and now they don't. it's been like this for just over a year now and i just figured out you have to just copy and paste it (i usually do so to twitter). if you want to keep the gif, i just recommend going on the computer and downloading it for future use. hope this helps. 😀

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2017 2:25 AM in response to Reedzor

yo !!!!! i've had this SAME exact issue, same exact phone. it used to never happen back in the day but i think one of the updates a while back messed up saving gifs. i can't save gifs anymore without it being a static image. the solution i found out to this is to just copy and paste the gif you want to use to the place you want to use it. for example: tumblr gifs always used to save for me and now they don't. it's been like this for just over a year now and i just figured out you have to just copy and paste it (i usually do so to twitter). if you want to keep the gif, i just recommend going on the computer and downloading it for future use. hope this helps. 😀

Aug 22, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Reedzor

If you are using Chrome, I just read it has something to do with the Chrome browser. Other people, as well as myself, we're having the same problem and they suggested trying to save a gif from Safari and send it to yourself and see if that works. I just tried it myself and surprisingly it works, so I guess it really is Chrome. People suggested using Chrome beta.

Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

Sep 3, 2016 4:03 PM in response to Reedzor

I've experienced the same thing for several weeks. All the animated GIFs I had in my Photos album suddenly were frozen on the first frame. They would not play in iMessage. Also, when attempting to save new animated gifs, they were frozen in both iMessage and Safari. This started simultaneously on both my iPhone 6S and iPad Air 2.

Today I just saved a new animated GIF file from Safari on my iPad, and found it playing. Sent it to myself in iMessage and it was working fine. Checked iPhone too and it seems most of my GIFs are working again on both devices. No idea why this happened or how I resolved it.

Good luck.

why won't gifs animate in messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.