Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does AAC Version mean

My Song is in MP4 mode I wanted to convert it to MP3 to put it online for sale through my website. The website said the version I have converted to mp3 is not stereo and needs to be. So I came back to Itunes to try and convert it and through this site the option for conversion was AAC, so I did that. Now I am not sure if I messed things up. What does AAC mean? What did I do to my song? And is it now MP3 Stereo?

Posted on Aug 19, 2016 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2016 3:38 PM

From Wikipedia:

" Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is an audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates. AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications."

AAC and MP3 are not the same or interchangeable. When you are trying unfamiliar conversion, it's best to do on a copy.

There are many audio conversion utilities available, many free. Search the Mac App Store.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2016 3:38 PM in response to clentbowers

From Wikipedia:

" Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is an audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates. AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications."

AAC and MP3 are not the same or interchangeable. When you are trying unfamiliar conversion, it's best to do on a copy.

There are many audio conversion utilities available, many free. Search the Mac App Store.

Aug 19, 2016 4:59 PM in response to clentbowers

So I came back to Itunes to try and convert it and through this site the option for conversion was AAC

If the original is in your iTunes library, you can do the conversion with iTunes. Before you do so, go to iTunes Preferences, General tab, Import Settings, and set "Import using" to "MP3 Encoder." See details here:

Convert a song to a different file format with iTunes - Apple Support

If your original is in stereo, the new MP3 will be in stereo too.

What does AAC Version mean

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.