Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Airport extreme as a wireless access point on all wireless network

I have a Centruylink C1100z Modem/Router combo connected to an Airport Extreme (about 3-4 years old) via an ethernet cable, an Apple Time Capsule (about 3-4 years old) and I just bought a new Airport Extreme.

I would like to configure the new Airport Extreme as a Wireless access point. The device that I want to connect needs to be on the wireless network and be able to have internet access.

Is this possible on a basically all wireless network? The new Airport Extreme is upstairs in an addition to the house and near impossible to get an ethernet cable to.

Posted on Aug 21, 2016 8:11 AM

19 replies

Aug 21, 2016 8:20 AM in response to chazz2012

Ethernet is always the best performance option when you connect AirPorts together on a network. If it is not possible the run the Ethernet cable, then the next best performance option would be to use a pair of Ethernet over Powerline (EoP) adapters to send the Ethernet signal over the existing AC wiring in the home.

In other words, the theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place, you just need the adapters. Any computer / electronics superstore will have a selection of EoP adapters from which to choose.

The last choice in terms of performance to extend a network would be a wireless connection between the AirPort routers. Unfortunately, even if you have a line-of-sight relationship between the AirPorts, about half of the potential speed on the network will be lost using this type of setup.

If the wireless signal must pass through several walls, then each wall will slow the signal speed even more. Much worse would be a condition where the wireless signal must pass through a ceiling.....since a typical ceiling is on average, about 3-4 times more dense than an average wall.

Please think about the options and let us know which one that you want to use, so we can provide more details on how to set things up.

Aug 21, 2016 8:32 AM in response to chazz2012

Unfortunately, unless you do decide to run Ethernet cabling, things are always a bit of a guessing game.

In other words, you won't know how well.....or, even if.....the powerline products will work well, until you try them out in your home. So, it would be good idea to make sure that you understand the store's return policies before you buy.

Here's an example. I used pair of EoP adapters in my home a few years ago to get an Ethernet signal to a remote part of the house. The adapters worked very well.

My neighbor wanted to do the same thing in his house, and the very same brand and model number of adapter did not work well at all in his home......even though the distance to the remote area was less than in my home. Yet, when he tried another brand of adapter, those products worked well for him.

Aug 21, 2016 8:51 AM in response to chazz2012

Two adapters are needed. They usually come in pairs.

Connect one adapter to an AC wall socket near the Centurylink router and connect a short Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the router to the powerline adapter.

Upstairs, connect the other powerline adapter to an AC wall jack and then connect an Ethernet cable from the adapter to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme.

Aug 21, 2016 9:15 AM in response to chazz2012

Apple's setup "wizard" will automatically configure the AirPort Extreme for you with the correct settings. All that you need to do is assign a device name for the AirPort Extreme.

After you have the Ethernet connection from the upstairs powerline adapter connected to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme and the AirPort has been powered up for a minute.......

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on AirPort Extreme under the heading of New AirPort Base Station

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Extreme, that will get the setup "wizard" up and running. It will take a few seconds to suggest the correct setup, like the illustration below, except that you will see your devices pictured.

User uploaded file

Type in a name that want to call the AirPort Extreme.......example......UpstairsAE

Click Next

Watch the screen to confirm that the AirPort Extreme is being set up to Extend using Ethernet. This confirms that the correct settings will be applied.The wizard will set up everything for you automatically. You don't have to worry about "Bridge Mode" or other things like that.

User uploaded file

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. And, you are done.

Aug 21, 2016 11:32 AM in response to chazz2012

Sounds good. Once you have the powerline adapters installed.....and before you try to set up the AirPort Extreme......test the remote Ethernet connection at the upstairs powerline adapter by connecting your Mac directly to the adapter using an Ethernet cable, and turn off the WiFi on the Mac temporarily.

If you can get a good Internet connection that way, then you know that the Ethernet connection is working correctly over the AC wiring and the powerline adapters, so it should be an easy task to set up the AirPort Extreme.

Aug 21, 2016 1:21 PM in response to chazz2012

Not a big deal, but If possible, connect the new Extreme back to the Centrylink router, if only because this would be considered better wiring practice.

If you connect the powerline adapter to the old AirPort Extreme.....and the old Extreme has a problem, then so too will your new Extreme likely have a problem as well......and it will be a bit tricky to figure out which Extreme really has the problem, since both of them will be acting up.

If you connect the powerline adapter to the Centurylink router....and the old Extreme has a problem, then the new Extreme will continue to operate normally.....(unless the Centurylink router is having a problem).....in which case both Extremes will have a problem as well.

Bottom line......connecting the new Extreme to the old Extreme would be known as a "daisy chain". Connecting both the new Extreme and old Extreme back to the Centurylink router would be known as a "home run". Home run is always the better option if you have a choice.

Aug 22, 2016 6:55 PM in response to chazz2012

Just reporting back to say the Powerline adapters work like a charm!!! I was able to connect my laptop directly to the one upstairs and the speed was outstanding!

After that I setup the AE as you instructed and let it go through its paces and according to airport utility everything was good as all the network devices showed up green. However, I noticed the light on the AE upstairs was flashing amber. So it thought I would unplug it and plug it back in. Then the diagram with the Internet and all devices that had showed green, disappeared.

My setup like I stated earlier is a Centrylink modem/router with an Ethernet cable running to the slightly older Airport Express. I used this for wifi and have a sonus unit connected to it. I originally had just a modem from Centurylink when I bout my first AE. When that modem went bad they sent me out this modem router combo. On any wifi device you can see Centurylink as a wifi option as well as the AE's Wifi.

Do I need to disable the wifi/router function of the Centurylink and just use it as a modem?

Aug 22, 2016 7:02 PM in response to chazz2012

However, I noticed the light on the AE upstairs was flashing amber

Did you check to see why the amber light was flashing? If a new firmware update was available for the AirPort Extreme....that would be one reason for the amber light to be flashing.....to notify you of that fact.

Do I need to disable the wifi/router function of the Centurylink and just use it as a modem?

No

New Airport extreme as a wireless access point on all wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.