Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NFL Game Pass Apple TV

I have an Apple TV generation 3. I'm an American living in Malaysia. I have a subscription to NFL Game Pass, and the NFL app which runs it on the apple tv.

Every time I open the app on apple tv now, I get a black screen with the text "NFL is unavailable. Try again later."

No more, no less, can't even log in/log out of nfl app.

This app worked excellently last season! I checked to see if it was a problem with my subscription, but I can watch just fine on the nfl.com website (on any other computer).

Help!

Apple TV

Posted on Aug 21, 2016 9:06 PM

45 replies

Dec 20, 2017 6:20 PM in response to sk1ver

I live in Thailand and downloaded the NFL Game Pass app from the Thai store. This on an Apple TV 3.

The first game I watched was flawless. The second game (Dallas vs. Oakland) played fine for the first hour and fifty minutes, but then was constantly interrupted with a "Parameter Error". (Screenshot attached.) If I selected "Continue" there would be a long pause and then the game would start back at the beginning forcing me to scroll forward to the point of failure. This happened at least a dozen times during the last 30 minutes of the broadcast.

I wrote to NFL "Digital Care" about this specific problem. Their only response is:

Joe (NFL Digital Care)

Dec 20, 4:39 PM PST

Thank you for contacting NFL Digital Care.

NFL app for Apple TV (tvOS) is available for Apple TV 4th generation and newer.

Thank you,

Joe
NFL Digital Care

If the app only works on an ATV4, then why do they permit downloads to incompatible devices?

I'm not sure I buy the NFL's claim that "This is a restriction that Apple have set to all its providers who attempt to update their apps, rather than specific to NFL Game Pass." None of my other streaming apps stopped working when they were updated.

If this happens again I'll start working on a refund….

User uploaded file

Sep 14, 2017 1:49 AM in response to mkantorski

For Game Pass users, see this message from NFL regarding older Apple TV's:

"The new NFL Game Pass app launched for Apple devices on August 1st, 2017.

This new Apple app will be available for European users on iPhone, iPad and newer versions of Apple TV. Due to global app-update restrictions set by Apple, the new NFL Game Pass app is only available to those on Apple TV (Version 4).

This is a restriction that Apple have set to all its providers who attempt to update their apps, rather than specific to NFL Game Pass. We at NFL Game Pass are working to find the best solution for our customers who use Apple TV Version 3 or older devices. Whilst we try to find a solution, users of older Apple TV versions can still use the Apple AirPlay feature from their iPhones/iPads to enjoy NFL Game Pass on their Apple TV."

Oct 29, 2017 3:03 AM in response to mkantorski

I think this sums things up nicely from the NFL FAQ on "How do I log on to Apple tv app"

The new NFL Game Pass app launched for Apple devices on August 1st, 2017. This new Apple app will be available for European users on iPhone, iPad and newer versions of Apple TV. Due to global app-update restrictions set by Apple, the new NFL Game Pass app is only available to those on Apple TV (Version 4). This is a restriction that Apple have set to all its providers who attempt to update their apps, rather than specific to NFL Game Pass.We at NFL Game Pass are working to find the best solution for our customers who use Apple TV Version 3 or older devices. Whilst we try to find a solution, users of older Apple TV versions can still use the Apple AirPlay feature from their iPhones/iPads to enjoy NFL Game Pass on their Apple TV.

Jun 23, 2017 6:46 AM in response to mkantorski

I have an Apple TV new generation 4th. I'm a Canadien living in Quebec Canada. I have a subscription to NFL Game Pass, and the NFL app which runs it on the apple tv.

Every time I open the app on apple tv now, I get a black screen with the text "InternationalDennyException: This app is no longer available in your territory. To access NFL Game Pass, Please search the app store. We apologize for any inconvenience" is unavailable.

Why this app still available on the apple store Canada and still work on IPAD or any other device ?N

This app worked excellently last season! and 3 days ago. I checked to see if it was a problem with my subscription, but I can watch just fine on the nfl.com website (on any other computer).

Help!

Jun 23, 2017 8:18 AM in response to SAPNEO

Hi SAPNEO. Is the app still available in the Canadian TV app store? If it is not, then NFL has removed it, and there's little you can do. They might have done this if they have a contract with a Canadian network for exclusive TV access. Mobile devices are often treated differently in this context. You can try using AirPlay from your computer or other device.

Jun 23, 2017 8:29 AM in response to SAPNEO

Try airplay as Diana had mentioned but I believe it has DRM content restrictions that won't allow airplay, basically only giving black screen with only audio or video with no audio, if that happens you can get thunderbolt to HDMI cable or adapter (for your Mac) or lightning to HDMI adapter (for your iPhone/iPad) and connect directly to TV bypassing Apple TV and that will work for sure! Adapter is about $10-$15 USD

Jul 1, 2017 3:51 PM in response to SAPNEO

From NFL Digital Care after I complained about the same issue in Australia.

Joel (NFL Digital Care)

Jun 24, 10:45 AM PDT

Thank you for contacting NFL Digital Care.

The Apps are being updated.
NFL Game Pass is currently undergoing a migration process to better serve all of our users in preparation for the 2017-2018 season. Our development team has been made aware of this issue still affecting some users, and are working to resolve it as soon as possible.

We understand your frustration, apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Joel
NFL Digital Care

Aug 13, 2017 5:15 PM in response to mkantorski

I bought the Apple TV 3rd gen just so I could Watch NFL game pass (my Tizen TV doesn't offer the app and it doesn't work via Tizen browser) and after two flawless seasons it decided to stop working. The message on the screen says the new app is on its way and the nfl.com/gamepass says Apple TV should've gotten its new app by Aug 1st but it's Aug 14th and the app still doesn't work. Is it that Apple or NFL are abandoning the 3rd gen TV and after just 2 seasons I need to be switching to 4 gen? Not cool! I REALLY hope the 3rd gen TV app update is coming very soon as well!

Aug 17, 2017 9:26 AM in response to BigFella99

Joel,

Thank you for addressing this forum. Week 2 of the preseason is upon us and I am still having the "territory" issue despite a new version of the NFL app being released. I have a Gen4 AppleTV and a subscription to GamePass.

I can watch on my laptop here from Thailand but really want to watch on the big screen. Any information you can provide would be helpful.

Dude

Aug 18, 2017 12:52 AM in response to mkantorski

Dear mkantorski,

I had the same problem in Austria. Here is the answer to our problem. On the NFL Gamepass website in the FAQ section they have the question "On what devices can I watch the NFL Game Pass" the answer is "Web and mobile web, iOS and Android apps, Apple TV (only 4th gen.), XBOX (NFL app)" So in a typical apple manner, they've shut us out of the land of the privileged because we don't have the newest device. Sad.

https://www.nflgamepass.com/en/faq

Best,

MikeAustrian

NFL Game Pass Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.