Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Enable iPad multi-user support?

The iPad appears to support multiple users (in educational mode), but I can't figure out to add a second account. Is there a way to put it in educational mode to access this feature?

My wife and I use the iPad a coffee table computer and would like to be able to access our own email and music instead of having to log in and out of apps because the apps are always logged into someone else's account. I would also like to add unique but limited accounts for some of my kids. At this point I kinda regret replacing my Nexus 7 (which had multiple accounts) with the iPad Mini 4, mainly for this reason. I assumed when I got the iPad it would have this basic feature that Android has had for years. It's a pretty fundamental feature (like cut and paste IMHO).

I signed up with the iOS 10 beta with hopes this feature would be there, but it does not appear to have any extra user account support. With the advent of the iPad pro and all the PC replacement talk multiply user support would be a nice place to start.

iPad Mini, iOS 9.3.4, iPad Mini 4

Posted on Aug 22, 2016 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2016 12:19 PM

You would need to purchase the iPad Classroom deployment software, which is only available to education institutions. That feature is not available outside of the Apple Education deployment program at this time.

https://www.apple.com/education/it/#get-right-materials

For home users or any iPad other than one enrolled in an education deployment plan, the device remains a single user, single account device.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2016 12:19 PM in response to SuperJ

You would need to purchase the iPad Classroom deployment software, which is only available to education institutions. That feature is not available outside of the Apple Education deployment program at this time.

https://www.apple.com/education/it/#get-right-materials

For home users or any iPad other than one enrolled in an education deployment plan, the device remains a single user, single account device.

Aug 22, 2016 12:35 PM in response to SuperJ

This sort of feature may make it into wider spread use - who knows what Apple may or may not change in future iOS releases? For now, it is a feature explicitly available for schools, especially where they may not be able to afford one device for every student. My understanding is that the feature relies on the deployment server to cache user(s) settings, profiles and content, so relies on more hardware and administrator expertise than any typical home user is going to have available. It does not offer multiple user accounts simultaneously on any individual iPad. Instead, it uses "smart" user cache and some sort of system to push out user profiles as needed.

It sounds to me like it involved much more in terms of the deployment system, and far less with iOS on the device itself.

How to Enable iPad multi-user support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.