Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 charging port not working!

Hi people!

I have an iPhone 5 that suffered from a swollen battery a while back. I took it to Apple, who refused to replace the unit as it was out of warranty, so I chose the replace the battery myself. I done that with no problem and the phone continued to work fine.

After a little while the battery went bad again, so I just replaced it with another. All batteries came from authorised sellers. I get the message 'This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this phone' when I try and charge my phone. I've only ever used official cables, so this is new to me. Now the phone will not charge at all and I'm left with a brick.

Apple have refused to even look at it because I replaced the batteries myself. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or am I forced to spend a lot of money on another phone?

PS: I have done all the things mentioned like tried different wires, clean the port, etc...

Cheers guys!

User uploaded file

iPhone 5, iOS 9.3.4, Swollen Battery, Charging

Posted on Aug 22, 2016 1:33 PM

3 replies

Aug 23, 2016 2:19 AM in response to R_808

R_808 wrote:

.. I chose the replace the battery myself.

.. the battery went bad again, so I just replaced it with another. All batteries came from authorised sellers.

Hi

Apple does not sell spare parts, either directly or via resellers, so there is no such thing as an "authorised seller" of iPhone batteries.

R_808 wrote:

I took it to Apple, who refused to replace the unit as it was out of warranty

Where an iPhone is eligible for service, Apple offers repairs or replacements either under warranty or on a chargeable basis. However, Apple may decline ("refuse") to offer a replacement when an iPhone has previously been serviced by the user or an unauthorised third-party.

For continued access to hardware service, your best option is always to have your iPhone serviced (or, if necessary, replaced) by Apple or an Apple Authorised Service Provider.

Aug 23, 2016 3:11 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Hi,

My point is that the iPhone should've been replaced in the first place, before I had to replace the battery myself. This is because a swollen battery carries a serious risk of exploding. Warranty has nothing to do with it in this case as many iPhones have been replaced under the same circumstances.

The batteries came from iFixit and they are an authorised seller of many different parts. There is no magical Apple battery factory out there if that's what you're thinking. The batteries are just as good, if not the same, as Apple's.

Aug 23, 2016 11:04 AM in response to R_808

R_808 wrote:

I took it to Apple, who refused to replace the unit as it was out of warranty, so I chose the replace the battery myself.

My point is that the iPhone should've been replaced in the first place, before I had to replace the battery myself.

If that is your point, I'm afraid it is one that you should have taken up with Apple at the time. By replacing the battery yourself, you have (as Apple has advised you) denied yourself access to Apple's hardware repair services. Perhaps it is instead the case that Apple did offer to repair or replace your iPhone, but on a chargeable basis, which you declined?

R_808 wrote:

The batteries came from iFixit and they are an authorised seller of many different parts. There is no magical Apple battery factory out there if that's what you're thinking. The batteries are just as good, if not the same, as Apple's.

iFixit is not an "authorised seller" of iPhone batteries or of any other iPhone components. Only Apple and Apple Authorised Service Providers can replace batteries or other components on an authorised basis.

R_808 wrote:

I have done all the things mentioned like tried different wires, clean the port, etc...

Unfortunately, given the circumstances and the steps that you have already tried, your only options are to try the steps here (except for contacting Apple Support to set up service, which is no longer an option) or to use a third-party repair service (at your own risk):

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't charge - Apple Support

iPhone 5 charging port not working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.