Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Panic Kernel Help Needed

I'm getting a Panic Kernel in the boot up of my 15" Retina MBP, mid 2010. I have 8 gigs of ram, 500 gig HDD that is about half full.

It begins with:

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff8011b9caf4): launchd exited (signal 10, exit status 0 ) Debugger called: <panic>

---

The boot process is nearing the half-way point then throws this up on screen (see picture also) and then reboots. (Repeat ad infinitum) It begins an Infinite Loop (Pun Intended).

I guess I'm wondering if it's the logic board, the RAM, or the GPU or what? Im trying to see if it's worth repairing or not....

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Aug 22, 2016 5:45 PM

4 replies

Aug 22, 2016 7:26 PM in response to rogerfromla

Launchd exited that early in the process in not a logic board or RAM or GPU error. It is a software error.

Your MacOS is corrupted. Either on disk or in RAM, it is impossible to determine at this point. Try booting from another source of software. Got the 10.6 DVD around somewhere? Got a Recovery HD on that drive?

If you have nothing else, there is a routine in ROM called the Startup Manager. hold down the Option key at startup. Wait several minutes and it will do a search for every potentially-bootable Volume at every possible address. It depends on almost nothing on a drive to do its stuff. If it is working, your Mac is far from dead.

Panic Kernel Help Needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.