Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac G5 won't load in recovery mode

I have a 2005/2006 IMac G5. I started it up yesterday after a few years in the box. It started up fine, then I ran the updates. After the system shut down it did not restart. When I turn it on it come to the ? and folder screen. I've tried both recovery mode, and Internet recovery mode but it eventually ends up at the ? and folder screen, skipping the recovery mode screens. I have a external hd with time machine back ups. When I restart with the hard drive connected and hold in the option key a screen with a return arrows, and a forward arrow appears, but no drives show up above them. Any help is appreciated

iMac G5 (17-inch), null

Posted on Aug 23, 2016 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2016 3:15 AM

There is no Recovery or Internet Recovery in a G5 Mac. The highest system you can install is Leopard (10.5) and this can only be done from the install disks. The originally installed system was Tiger (1.04), again, installable only from install disks. Either type of install disk can be booted from to run a check on the hard disk from Disk Utility. You cannot boot from the Time Machine disk as it does not contain an operating system.

Your first step is to boot from the install disk for whichever system you have installed - insert the disk then reboot holding command-c. When it's loaded (which will take some time) go to the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility: run Repair Disk. If this is able to correct any errors you should then try to install from the disk.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2016 3:15 AM in response to Adambaker

There is no Recovery or Internet Recovery in a G5 Mac. The highest system you can install is Leopard (10.5) and this can only be done from the install disks. The originally installed system was Tiger (1.04), again, installable only from install disks. Either type of install disk can be booted from to run a check on the hard disk from Disk Utility. You cannot boot from the Time Machine disk as it does not contain an operating system.

Your first step is to boot from the install disk for whichever system you have installed - insert the disk then reboot holding command-c. When it's loaded (which will take some time) go to the Utilities menu and choose Disk Utility: run Repair Disk. If this is able to correct any errors you should then try to install from the disk.

IMac G5 won't load in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.