Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone rings once at random time with no incomming activity?

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 6s which is running the latest version of iOS - V9.3.4

I'm on the Verizon network if that is helpful.

Recently my phone has started to ring - just one ring in the middle of the night.

The ring tone it uses is the "old phone" ringtone -- I do NOT have this ringtone assigned to ANY feature of the phone at least as viewed under Sounds --> Sounds and Vibration patterns.

Inspection of the phone (last night at 4am when it woke me up ... 😠 ) showed now incoming activity - no call, no txt, and mail was not running in the background, and I have mail set to only fetch new mail manually.

I have hard-reset the phone but that did not help...

Any suggestions appreciated!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.4, windows 10 64-bit

Posted on Aug 23, 2016 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2016 8:32 AM

Hi

Possible sources include:

Mail:

• I appreciate that you do not believe this is the source, but it is still worth checking your Mail settings for each account (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data).
  • And checking your notification alert settings for email:
    • For example, go to: Settings > Notifications > Mail > VIP > Sounds > check whether that ringtone has been selected.
    • Also check under Settings > Notifications > Mail > iCloud.

An app:

• You may have installed an app that issues notifications, with settings that Allow Notifications with sound alerts, but without other options also being enabled (eg Show in Notification Centre, Badge App Icon, Show on Lock Screen).
  • Check though the settings for each installed app in Settings > Notifications.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2016 8:32 AM in response to jimbob5941

Hi

Possible sources include:

Mail:

• I appreciate that you do not believe this is the source, but it is still worth checking your Mail settings for each account (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data).
  • And checking your notification alert settings for email:
    • For example, go to: Settings > Notifications > Mail > VIP > Sounds > check whether that ringtone has been selected.
    • Also check under Settings > Notifications > Mail > iCloud.

An app:

• You may have installed an app that issues notifications, with settings that Allow Notifications with sound alerts, but without other options also being enabled (eg Show in Notification Centre, Badge App Icon, Show on Lock Screen).
  • Check though the settings for each installed app in Settings > Notifications.

Aug 23, 2016 8:43 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Thanks Johnathan!

My mail sound is the "ding" not the ring ... but at 4am this morning ... there's a chance I mis-identified it ... 😝

I found I had "push" turned on for mail which potentially over-rode the manual-fetch setting, so I've turned push off.

I walked thru all my applications and made a few adjustments, but they don't seem like logical suspects....

Oddly, I am also 99% sure I did have my phone in DND mode last night which makes it more quizzical ...

I'll report back with any new findings - THANKS for your help!

Jim

Aug 25, 2016 5:24 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Ok ... so...

This morning just a few minutes before 8am the phone once again rang once with the "old phone" ring.

I've double-checked and the old-phone is not assigned to any app. or system sound.

The phone was in DND mode (enabled the night before) and when I checked for notifications there were none from this morning, and no alarms were set for that timeframe ....

I'm totally baffled ... 😟

iphone rings once at random time with no incomming activity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.