Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interesting Mac Plus crashes

I've got an old Mac Plus I recently managed to get working again. To be safe I dumped the ROM and the contents of its 80MB external hard disk to my MacBook Pro, so I will never have to lose the use of my favorite computer (using an emulator)

However, there seems to be an odd thing with the Mac Plus and System 7.0. I was idly fooling around and accidentally brought up the debugger. Usually I type G to get out, but I felt like being random and typed "G 32768" instead.

What it seems to do, is draw random pixels (probably contents of RAM) to the screen. It also causes a system error. But by moving the cursor into the random pixels, weird things can happen. Sometimes it will lock up, sometimes more errors will occur. Sometimes the bomb icon and the text will be outside the boundaries of the dialog box. Sometimes the machine will draw random rasters to the screen.

The fun thing is, it still does this even when emulated. So as to not risk the real machine, I've been fooling around in an emulator, getting all sorts of weird results. I'm actually kind of enjoying it, it's kind of interesting.

I took some screenshots of some of the better ones:

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/36/wo/jD368qtvHxImK5Y5.1/0.2. 1.2.26.31.97.25.35.0.1.1.1?user=sevenfourtyfour&fpath=System%20Errors&templatefn =FileSharing4.html

15" MacBook Pro Core Duo Mac OS X (10.4.8) 1GB RAM, 80GB and 120GB HDs

15" MacBook Pro Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 1GB RAM, 80GB and 120GB HDs

Posted on Dec 8, 2006 9:09 PM

1 reply

Dec 9, 2006 4:40 AM in response to upbeatpenguin

upbeatpenguin,

Thanx 4 sharing your idea and your iFolder.

So as to not risk the real machine, I've been fooling around in an emulator, getting all sorts of weird results. I'm actually kind of enjoying it, it's kind of interesting.

Some of us are not worried about risking the real machine. That will make a great kid experiment for their enjoyment.

Ji˜m

Interesting Mac Plus crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.