Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Applets in Safari

I'm trying to run a Java applet with safari, but everytime I go to the webpage all I get is a grey box with a picture of a coffee cup that has two arrows circling it. Nothing loads after that. Any idea how to fix this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Dec 8, 2006 9:38 PM

11 replies

Dec 10, 2006 1:14 PM in response to kad4724

Slow load, but the applet does load on my system>Safari.

Go to Safari Preferences>Security. Make sure the web content boxes are selected.

Also there is this note from the site developers if the applet does not load. Their suggestion in part is to clear the cache, which you would do by selecting "empty cache" from the Safari Menu, then go back to the site following the directions set forth in the article.

Post back.

Dec 13, 2006 6:52 PM in response to Hawaiian_Starman

I've tried emptying the cache and resetting Safari completely, and neither seemed to work. The web content boxes are selected, too.

It used to work with Safari for me, and I can get it to work with Firefox on my computer, but the applet doesn't completely support Firefox so some features do not work.

When you tried it, after clicking on the "Oasis" button on the initial webpage, did you get a big grey box with the Java coffee cup in the middle?

Dec 13, 2006 11:40 PM in response to kad4724

When you tried it, after clicking on the "Oasis" button on the initial webpage, did you get a big grey box with the Java coffee cup in the middle?

Yes, briefly, then another screen appeared replacing the grey box, showing the applet loading.

I'll post back in the AM when I've had a chance to clearly think about alternatives. Long day here...my clarity is not the best right now.

Dec 17, 2006 6:46 PM in response to kad4724

Sorry didn't respond sooner.

Click on this link. Scroll down the page to method 1. If your Java applet is working correctly, you'll see your current Java version number appear in the pink box.
Mine looks like this:

User uploaded file

Let me know what you discover.

iMac G5 Rev C 20" 2.5gb RAM 250 gb HD/iBook G4 1.33 ghz 1.5gb RAM 40 gb HD Mac OS X (10.4.8) LaCie 160gb d2 HD Canon i960 printer, Airport Express (2 units)

Dec 18, 2006 7:15 AM in response to kad4724

As has been discussed numerous times on this forum ( http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=742480&tstart=75), this means some file which is needed to run Java applets is corrupted. There is no apparent fix for it as it is a fairly common problem and no one seems to be able to come up with a simple way to fix it other than reinstalling OS X.

In a perfect world, reinstalling Java over itself would fix this corruption and make things work again, but that doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately.

I think it's crazy to have to reinstall an OS or create a new user account to be able to use a certain functionality of a web browser personally, and Apple needs to address this issue because it is not limited to one person having this problem.

Jan 9, 2007 5:25 PM in response to kad4724

I am having trouble getting applets to run in Safari too. I can get them to run in Firefox, but only get a cup with an exclamation point icon in Safari. Not very helpful! I suspect there may be a java version conflict, but how do I check which version of java Safari is using? And given that I am probably using java 1.6.0, how can I permit the use of lower versions of java if an applet wasn’t created by the latest version?

Jan 12, 2007 5:46 PM in response to ad1054

Hi ad1054,

Are you sure you have java 1.6 and if so, how did you get it? I believe the latest version available from apple is 1.5.0_06. Java 1.6 was only just released by Sun, and, if I'm not mistaken, only for PC and Linux. Apple may be waiting to force people to pay for Leopard to get Java 1.6. (Though you can get a beta version from developer.apple.com.) As Hawaiian_Starman mentioned above, you can check your java version.

That said, you don't have to worry about lower versions of Java because Java is backwards compatible. In fact, if you use Firefox (sorry, but I just checked it in Safari, and got a blank page so I guess Safari, like IE, doesn't support this) and go to "about:plugins" you will see something like
<pre>
Java Embedding Plugin 0.9.5 g2

File name: MRJPlugin.plugin
Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Test Your JVM.

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm Embedded JVM xjv Yes
application/x-java-applet Embedded Java Applet xja Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Embedded Java Applet xja11 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Embedded Java Applet xja111 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Embedded Java Applet xja112 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Embedded Java Applet xja113 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Embedded Java Applet xja12 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Embedded Java Applet xja121 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Embedded Java Applet xja122 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Embedded Java Applet xja13 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Embedded Java Applet xja131 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Embedded Java Applet xja14 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Embedded Java Applet xja141 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Embedded Java Applet xja142 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 Embedded Java Applet xja15 Yes
</pre>
You can see from this list that all versions up to and including the currently installed one are supported. The only thing you have to fear is that the applet you are trying to use was compiled with Java 1.6 and is not itself backwards compatible. However, when I made a test applet of this type, I got a red X, and no coffee cup.

If you see the red X, and I think the coffee cup as well, you should be able to right-click (or ctrl-click) the icon. If so, this will give you a menu with "console" and "about" choices. "About" will give you the version of Java you have, and "console" is supposed to show you the errors that kept the applet from working. (However, with my Java 1.6 test, the console was empty.)

I hope this helps.

1.5GB, 2.16 GHz Core Duo, 15.4" Macbook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Java Applets in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.