Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add my Google account in iOS

I would like to sync my Google calendars with iCal on my iPhone. When I go to add my Google account in Settings -> Mail/Contacts/Calendars, I click on "Google", enter my Google account email and then password, and for a split second the screen to select which things to sync flashes, and then it goes back out into the Mail/Contacts/Calendars screen where it shows my synced accounts, but still not my Google account. Why can't I get my Google account to show up in iOS? I have it on my OS X iCal with no problem. Looks like I can sign into it on my Mac no problem, but not on my iOS devices. Suggestions?

Posted on Aug 25, 2016 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2017 8:12 AM

This worked for me, but because I use two-factor authentication, I also had to generate an application password through Google, using the link posted by IdrisSeabright above (https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/3178296?hl=en).

19 replies

Mar 10, 2017 1:53 AM in response to locolady

I've tried everything mentioned above and it still doesn't work. I would appreciate if someone from either Apple or Google came up with an answer that really functions. The nets are full of people who have this problem, but nowhere do I find any real solution.

When I try the calDav solution, I get a validation error. There's a fix proposed by Google that involves using Exchange rather than Google as the account type, but that doesn't work either. I've tried it on WiFi, I've tried it on 4G. No difference, same results.

I use a shared Google calendar for business, and this is very frustrating. I know I can use the Google calendar app, but I like having all my calendars in one place.

Mar 10, 2017 8:22 AM in response to Culturecom

Culturecom wrote:

I've tried everything mentioned above and it still doesn't work. I would appreciate if someone from either Apple or Google came up with an answer that really functions.

No one from Apple or Google is going to answer you here. This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Also, it's likely that no everyone in this thread is having the same problem. So, there is no "one" solution. If you want support from Apple, either make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or click on the "Contact Support" button in the upper right of this page. For help from Google, start here:

https://support.google.com/?hl=en

and here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/2402620?hl=en

and here:

https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/3141849?hl=en

When I try the calDav solution, I get a validation error. There's a fix proposed by Google that involves using Exchange rather than Google as the account type, but that doesn't work either. I've tried it on WiFi, I've tried it on 4G. No difference, same results.

CalDAV hasn't been required for Google accounts in years. You can only use Exchange if you have a paid Google account. If you have a free Google account, it's simply not an option.

Do you have two-step verification enabled on your Google account? It complicates adding the accounts to an iOS device. I've rather forgotten the process but, I followed the instructions above.

Best of luck.

Mar 12, 2017 4:38 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for your response.

I guess I need to follow your suggestion to go to the genius bar. I don't use two-step verification, so that's not the problem.

I did have Google accounts shared on IOS before, but it no longer works. Works fine on MAC OS, but not IOS.

The tendency of different ecosystems to try and shut others out (which I suspect, without knowing if this is the problem) is counterproductive and hurts everyone who wants seamless digital interworking. Nobody gains by this - not Apple and not Google.

Mar 12, 2017 7:09 PM in response to Culturecom

Culturecom wrote:

The tendency of different ecosystems to try and shut others out (which I suspect, without knowing if this is the problem) is counterproductive and hurts everyone who wants seamless digital interworking. Nobody gains by this - not Apple and not Google.

I don't think that's what's happening here, though. Apple and Google play fairly nicely together, at least where iOS is concerned. Most people don't have the problems you're having. I realize that doesn't make your problem any less frustrating. But, what it does mean is that it should be solvable.

Best of luck.

May 4, 2017 11:43 PM in response to locolady

Hi, had the same problem, can't add account from the setting, ip7 ios 10.3. What I did was, I deleted and re download the mail app, and add the account from the mail app directly when it launched the first time.

I can only add 1 account the first time it launched, so, had to do it several time to add more accounts. Afterwards go to setting > mail >account> And toggle on the mail options in previous accounts that I've added before (because when you deleted the mail app, the login details is still saved but they toggle off the mail options)

Idk if I explained it correctly, hope it helps

Aug 8, 2017 12:49 AM in response to locolady

Hey, So im having the same problem, trying to sign in with yahoo account into my google account, and i only want to sync my contacts, i tried your solution and went to Settings>Contacts>Accounts>Add Account>Other There i am seeing "Add LDAP Account" and "Add CardDAV Account", i selected CardDav option input server as google.com, my yahoo account email as username, my password, it says verification failed.

What am i doing wrong?

Aug 8, 2017 5:32 AM in response to Ahsanwani

If you're trying to add a Gmail account, go to Settings>Contacts>Add Account>Google and fill in the information. When you get the option to chose what to sync, turn off everything but Contacts.

I have no idea what a Yahoo account would have to do with your Google account. If you want to sign into Yahoo, it's Settings>Contacts>Add Account>Yahoo.

Aug 25, 2016 9:39 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

No, this didn't work. Same thing happened. Momentarily saw the screen to select which things to sync (mail, contacts, calendars, reminders), not long enough to de-select anything, then the screen went back out to the accounts screen, with my Google account still not showing there.

Additional info: I use my yahoo email address to log into my google account. I don't use a gmail account. Could the fact that I use the same email address be confusing the iPhone settings app?

Aug 25, 2016 11:26 AM in response to locolady

Okay, I found a fix.

The block seems to be that I use a yahoo email address to log into my google account. Since I only want to sync calendars, and don't use gmail, I didn't want to generate a new email account that I'll never use.

I ended up going into settings -> mail, contact, calendars -> Other.... and setting it up through CalDav. Server is Google.com, then username and password are simply what I use to log onto Google, and it works.

Can't add my Google account in iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.