Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

doesn't recognize mac. mail account

I have two mail accounts--one through msn hotmail; the other mac mail account. When I reply or send from the mac account , mail attempts to send it through the msn account settings and I get a message that I can't send it through that SMTP account. And it doesn't even show the mac account as a choice. What's up with that? It's so frustrating. I don't have a "tech" to refer the problem to, it's just me.

Thank you

G5 and Ibook G4, LA Cie 250 HD Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 9, 2006 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2006 4:02 AM

Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts and under the Account Information tab for your .Mac account preferences, is the MSN Hotmail SMTP server selected as the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) for your .Mac account?

If so, select the button to the right of the SMTP server selection.

Is the .Mac SMTP server available to choose from and select?

If so, select the .Mac SMTP server instead.

If not available, you need to add the .Mac SMTP server as an SMTP server to choose from.

Select the same button and at the menu window that appears, select Add Server.

The .Mac SMTP server settings are as follows:

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mac.com

Server Port: 587

User Secure Sockets Layer: You can select or not select this.

Authentication: Password

User Name: The portion of your .Mac email address in front of the @ sign only.

Password: Your .Mac account password - the same password used to check the account for new messages.

Select OK when finished.

Make sure the .Mac SMTP server is selected as the SMTP server to use for your .Mac account.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2006 4:02 AM in response to mszig

Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts and under the Account Information tab for your .Mac account preferences, is the MSN Hotmail SMTP server selected as the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) for your .Mac account?

If so, select the button to the right of the SMTP server selection.

Is the .Mac SMTP server available to choose from and select?

If so, select the .Mac SMTP server instead.

If not available, you need to add the .Mac SMTP server as an SMTP server to choose from.

Select the same button and at the menu window that appears, select Add Server.

The .Mac SMTP server settings are as follows:

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mac.com

Server Port: 587

User Secure Sockets Layer: You can select or not select this.

Authentication: Password

User Name: The portion of your .Mac email address in front of the @ sign only.

Password: Your .Mac account password - the same password used to check the account for new messages.

Select OK when finished.

Make sure the .Mac SMTP server is selected as the SMTP server to use for your .Mac account.

Dec 9, 2006 4:10 AM in response to mszig

You may want to check with whomever is your ISP. (do you dialup to SBC? Cable internet with Comcast? DSL?)
Often your ISP will require you to "send through" their servers.
Look into Mail>Preferences. Tell us what the OutgoingServer name is.
Also, what port is being used (probably 25).
Also, who's your InternetServiceProvider?

Mail can be frustrating.
What do you mean you don't have a tech to refer to...? You've got your help desk (or at least FAQ's) at your ISP, and you've got unlimited access to all the topics that have been discussed here....free support from other users just like you.

[edit] Like Allan - his answer is much better than mine :)

doesn't recognize mac. mail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.