Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem syncing with iPod Nano

I have an iPod nano 3rd generation. It stopped syncing properly with iTunes. I have the latest version of ITunes and Windows 10. It's always synced automatically before.The computer recognizes the iPod and says it is syncing on the iPod but not on the computer screen. None of the songs I have purchased from iTunes since this started have been added to my iPod. I also noticed that new Playlists I added to iTunes also don't sync. This might be the same cause. I appreciate your help. I'm nervous about the solution that it will erase my iPod and then sync again. I don't want to end up with nothing on my iPod! I've spent hours trying to figure it out, without any luck. Thanks so much for your help!

iPod nano, Windows 10, 3rd Generation

Posted on Aug 26, 2016 10:13 AM

13 replies

Aug 26, 2016 4:58 PM in response to Jan717

I changed my iPod's Music setting screen to sync Entire music library (without doing an Apply), for the purpose of taking that screenshot. It actually looks like this most of the time, set to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres.

User uploaded file

The number of songs (next to Sync Music) reflects the numbers the setting syncs. So, if you do not currently have it set to Sync Music (not checked), there would be no number there.

If Sync Music is currently not checked, that is why the iPod's content does not automatically update based on changes to your iTunes library, such as adding new songs and updating playlists. It is set to manually manage music on the iPod, so you have to add new songs and update playlists manually.

My iTunes Library looks like everything is there, including new songs purchased and new Music Playlists I set up.

If everything is in your iTunes library, you won't lose anything by changing sync settings for the iPod. The iPod may get erased in the process, but iTunes then syncs your content back from your library based on how you set it up to sync music. You can set it up to sync all of your songs (if your entire music library can fit), or just a selected portion of the library. Syncing the iPod does not affect what is in your computer's iTunes library, which is your "master copy." (It's a good idea to back up your computer's iTunes library, in case your computer or its drive fails.)

When I click on Sync, it shows on my iPod that it's syncing for about 5 seconds. then I keep getting a pop-up window that says, "Insert Disk into Removable Disk (F:).

The iPod still syncs (for a few seconds) when you click Sync, but if it's not set to Sync Music, nothing gets updated on the iPod. I'm not sure what the error messages is about... Is the iPod seen as the F: drive by the computer?

Aug 26, 2016 3:05 PM in response to Jan717

One thing to check is the Sync Music setting on the iPod's Music settings screen. Here's a screenshot showing the screen.

User uploaded file

Maybe the Sync Music checkbox got unchecked for some reason. If it's not checked, the iPod is currently set to manually manage music. It will still "sync" when connected, but content does not sync automatically. However, existing content remains on the iPod.

NOTE: If Sync Music is currently not checked, and you change that setting (and Apply), any songs on the iPod that are not in your iTunes library will be lost.

Aug 26, 2016 4:23 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

When I click on Sync, it shows on my iPod that it's syncing for about 5 seconds. then I keep getting a pop-up window that says, "Insert Disk into Removable Disk (F:).

As far as syncing all music, that was where I got worried that it would erase my current iPod library and not put my current one back on my iPod. My iTunes Library looks like everything is there, including new songs purchased and new Music Playlists I set up. If this happens, is there a way to get them back? I would think that if they are on my iTunes Library, they should transfer. Should I just take the leap of faith and agree to Sync all music?

Thanks for your patience with my questions!

Scaredy Cat

Aug 27, 2016 10:08 AM in response to Jan717

It's not a problem for the iPod to be seen by Windows as the F: drive. But you may have gotten that error message because the connection between computer and iPod is not reliable for some reason, which is why the error message to "Insert Disk into Removable Disk (F:)" came up. The connection was there when you started the sync, but it was lost. If that error comes up again, you'll need to do some additional trouble-shooting to determine why. You can post back if that happens...

Aug 27, 2016 8:31 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

There's got to be someone, somewhere, that I can let know what a great help you were with my Apple related problem. I'm going to, at least, contact Customer Service at Apple to let them know how important Apple Support Communities is to Apple owners and that there are people like Kenichi Watanabe doing a great service for the Apple Product. They just need to know. I'm sure they get enough of the negative comments, but I know they need to hear positive things. Thanks again, Kenichi, for your help. I will certainly keep your name in case I have any problems with my iPod again or my iPad or iPhone. Have a great life!

Problem syncing with iPod Nano

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.