Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.3.5 battery drained

I updated both my wife's 4s & my own SE to this latest release. The next morning both phones had completely empty battery's.

Is this related?

Both phones are quite lightly used. My wife's phone normally last 3 days & my SE 5-6 days. Both had around 70% charge when updated.

If this battery drain continues I'm backing the update out.

iPhone SE, iOS 9.3.5, Battery drained

Posted on Aug 27, 2016 4:08 AM

31 replies

Jan 25, 2017 10:33 AM in response to deceased

I have the same problems with two iPads, and I believe it is related to something with the cellular support. I have two ipads that were bought almost a year apart, both with great battery capacity all the way until they were updated to 9.3.5. Once updated, they barely survive a day even if they just sit on the desk unused.

However, when my 3G subscription was terminated on one of the iPads, suddenly the battery life was back to normal. Just as an experiment, I disabled mobile data on the other one and voilá -- the battery now lasts for a week again. The two iPads have vastly different app base - one being used mainly by my 3yo daughter having none of the resource intensive apps such as Facebook. With both iPads exhibiting the exact same behavior, this is definitely a regression in the 9.3.5 release, most likely somewhere in the cellular support software.

// J

Aug 29, 2016 4:12 AM in response to deceased

I have the same issue on my SE. I updated it, went to sleep and next morning it was completely empty. Now I have it on battery save mode and it still went (in 4 hours, I did not use it at all, and no apps are running background for sure) from 100% to 49%. From time to time it even gets pretty warm. I can’t even use it now as the battery drain in couple of hours on stand by, can’t even imagine what happens if I do use it. This is crazy and frustrating !

Aug 29, 2016 5:08 AM in response to deceased

Sometimes fews apps can drain your battery,

After updating your iphone to any new IOS update if issues occurs ,do factory reset by backing up your files

Kindly check the articles, hope it may solve your problem :-

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/08/25/how-to-fix-bad-ios-9-battery-life-2/

https://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/08/25/ios-9-3-problems-5-things-you-need-to-k now/

Aug 29, 2016 6:43 AM in response to deceased

deceased wrote:

I updated both my wife's 4s & my own SE to this latest release. The next morning both phones had completely empty battery's.

Is this related?

Sometimes, after an update, processes can run for a while. Did you plug your phones in overnight? That's always a good idea as, as long as your phone is plugged in, connected to WiFi and the screen is locked, it will back up to iCloud. The phone will also be ready to go and be fully charged in the morning.

If the rapid battery drain continues, restore from your back up. This will usually clear up any stuck processes.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

You should also download the app Battery Life and check the health of your battery. The battery on a 4S is getting a bit aged at this point.

Aug 31, 2016 1:06 AM in response to Johnty@apple1162

Did a factory reset, did not restore my phone just to test it without any apps on it as I am annoyed by people saying you are using some apps in background or you are playing pokemon or something.. what happend ? Baterry drained in 7hours on stand by. The chart which is showing what is taking the most % of the battery just made up the numbers, as home & lock screen is now suddenly taking 32% and so on.... And what will Apple say now? This normal? My phone is 2months old SE, so its not normall at all!? What now??? this 9.3.5 has a huge bug, is it going to get fixed or should I walk around with a portable charged for a 600€ phone.

Aug 31, 2016 11:06 AM in response to redbik

redbik wrote:

Did a factory reset, did not restore my phone just to test it without any apps on it as I am annoyed by people saying you are using some apps in background or you are playing pokemon or something.. what happend ? .

Until you restore the phone as new and test, we can't help you with that. Post back with the results when you've done that. Or, as the phone is under warranty, instead of assuming you know what Apple will tell you (you don't know), take the phone in for service.

Aug 31, 2016 11:38 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I apologise as I was not clear enough. I did restore the phone as new, did not bring back the iCloud back up of my phone, with all my data. The reason for it is like previously mentioned is that I wanted to see this phone running as new. It still had the same issues... even if this would work ok this is still not a solution as i do need my data from the backup. I am sorry but I already had very bad experience with the Apple service when I bought this phone. As my lock button is shaking like a cheap Chinese fake iphone and its making the rattling sound everytime the phone vibrates. Additionally to that when I record videos I can hear the sound of the shaky button... The answer from the Apple service was "This is normal" and that other SE have the same button. Well I went to all the shops that sell SE close to me and found quite a number of SE with a normally functioning lock button. So I hope you understand my fear of contacting Apple service once again. And as this seems more like a version bug I am not sure what they can do with my phone physicall... Plus how will give me back all the time and money and nerves spent on this issues that should never occour?

Aug 31, 2016 11:50 AM in response to redbik

redbik wrote:

So I hope you understand my fear of contacting Apple service once again.

You very specifically said you were not going to restore the phone as new and test without apps, hence my confusion. If you did that and you still have a problem, it's time to contact Apple again. You don't say if your bad experience was over the phone or in a store. Personally, I'd recommend making an appointment at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store so that you can show a real live person what the problem is. If they say they can't help you, ask, politely, to speak to their manager.

Best of luck.

Aug 31, 2016 4:25 PM in response to Mark Mcintyre1

Mark Mcintyre1 wrote:

YYou are correct. 9.3.5 has enormous battery charge problems. Power drains from battery even if no apps running and phone plugged in. Ipad as well.

There's no evidence of that. I'm certainly not seeing that. None of the phones I support are showing that. If your phone is discharging while connected to a power source, I'd guess you have a hardware problem.

iOS 9.3.5 battery drained

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.