You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play a rented movie

so I rented the 99c rental on iTunes, after it finished downloading, it won't play.

it does nothing, but the 24 hrs that i'm suppose to have to watch it it's counting down (currently at 22 hrs left).

I have the latest iTunes (Ver 12.4.3.1) and my macbook is current with all updates.

i have several purchased movies in iTunes and I have never run into any problems.

Posted on Aug 28, 2016 9:18 PM

4 replies

Aug 29, 2016 3:18 PM in response to Eugenio Rocha

Same issue. I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro & today is the first time I have tried to watch a movie in iTunes. Neither purchased or rented movies will play. I, too, only have a black screen, with only the controls (rewind, pause, play, etc.) viewable. No chapters listed, just the cover art of the movie at the top + names of the directors. Was on the phone with Apple Care for 2 hours & they couldn't figure it out.

When the senior advisor I was speaking with contacted iTunes to have a credit issued, she was told that they were aware of the issue & working on it. Said it is a problem with some Mac computers, but not other Apple devices.

Strange that iTunes would not have contacted Apple Care tech support to let them know about the issue. Also, before I spoke with the senior advisor, I was speaking with someone else at Apple Care who had also contacted iTunes to try to fix the issue by having them resend the rented movie to me & he wasn't told about the issue.

That was about 3 hours ago.

Senior Advisor said she would send me an email with my case # and her contact info so I could follow up, but she didn't. She took my phone #, so, hopefully, she will call to let me know when the issue is resolved (not holding my breath though).

Can't play a rented movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.