Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Missing Disk From Apple Raid

User uploaded file

Anyone know how i can remove this missing disk (hardware was removed)? Trying to do it via terminal says I need ownership and sudo isn't doing the trick.

Posted on Aug 29, 2016 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2017 11:42 PM

Just encountered this issue, ran into the same problem where I mistakenly added a disk to the mirrored RAID instead of just rebuilding using a replacement disk.

To remove the Missing/Damaged disk, you need to specify the RAID ownership of the disk you are trying to remove. So, in your case, you would enter:

diskutil appleRAID remove 8FEC705F-947F-4F84-AC8D-D5BE61F9037E disk5

(diskutil appleRAID remove *UID to remove* *RAID Device Node containing Missing/Damaged disk*)

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2017 11:42 PM in response to Osolemio

Just encountered this issue, ran into the same problem where I mistakenly added a disk to the mirrored RAID instead of just rebuilding using a replacement disk.

To remove the Missing/Damaged disk, you need to specify the RAID ownership of the disk you are trying to remove. So, in your case, you would enter:

diskutil appleRAID remove 8FEC705F-947F-4F84-AC8D-D5BE61F9037E disk5

(diskutil appleRAID remove *UID to remove* *RAID Device Node containing Missing/Damaged disk*)

Aug 29, 2016 9:55 AM in response to Osolemio

Have you tried

diskutil ar remove

Usage: diskutil appleRAID remove MemberDeviceName|MemberUUID

RAIDSetVolumePath|RAIDSetDeviceName|RAIDSetUUID

Remove a member or spare from an existing RAID set.

Ownership of the affected disks is required.

Example: diskutil AppleRAID remove disk2s4 /Volumes/RAID

diskutil AppleRAID remove 11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555 disk5

Aug 29, 2016 10:14 AM in response to Osolemio

Was repairMirror used to replace the original failed drive? If you use the add command, it is a different issue.

Usage: diskutil appleRAID repairMirror

RAIDSetDeviceName|RAIDSetUUID MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode

Repair a degraded mirror. The new member disk will replace the failed member.

Ownership of the affected disk is required.

Remove Missing Disk From Apple Raid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.