Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't update or restore

My iPhone 5 got stuck at the iTunes screen so I connected it to iTunes and iTunes asked me to either update or restore. I tried update and it failed and restore failed as well. Both options take me through:

1. Extracting software

2. Verifying software

3. Updating/Restoring software

4. Updating firmware....

And step 4 is where it gets stuck each time. I get error 48 but I can't find that error in the page linked More Info.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Late 2012

Posted on Aug 30, 2016 3:08 PM

11 replies

Oct 20, 2017 4:22 AM in response to santiagofrommiami

Santiago and AMB-- Were either of you ever able to recover?? I see this all over the internet, on Apple forums: ppl with this or a similar issue, but hardly anyone ever resolves the problem (or if they do, theres no way to know.)! I have the same EXACT issue, this frustrating Error 48, keeping me forever in Recovery Mode....just spent nearly $100 fixing a cracked screen and getting a nice case for it....and now, it won't let me Update, or Restore! Twenty eight folks hit the "me too" button on this thread; is there truly nothing that can be done?

Aug 30, 2016 3:26 PM in response to santiagofrommiami

Error 44 is not listed but likely a hardware issue. Try Recovery Mode again as shown at bottom.

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Here's what to check for hardware issues:

Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.

Check for issues with third-party security software.

Make sure that your USB cable, computer, and network are reliable. Then try twice more to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

If you still see the error message, you can check for outdated or modified software or contact Apple Support.

Recovery Mode:

Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes.

While your device is connected, force restart it: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home button for at least 10 seconds, and don't release when you see the Apple logo.

Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen and wait for it to restore.

You may have to do the above more than once as recovery mode is difficult to get into.

Restore as New first and test it. Then restore from backup if desired. If the backup is corrupted it will likely bring back the issue.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

Aug 30, 2016 5:04 PM in response to santiagofrommiami

Try a DFU restore. It looks different than Recovery Mode. You won't see anything on the display. Plug in your device to your computer and open iTunes. Hold the home button and sleep/wake button for 15 seconds. At the end of the 15 seconds, release the sleep/wake button but continue to hold the home button for another 10-12 seconds. You will get a popup window within iTunes telling you that the phone needs to be restored. If that doesn't work, a trip to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider may be in order.

iPhone 5 won't update or restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.