Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical lines and weird crack UNDER screen on MacBook Pro 15"

Hi. It's my first time writing on here. Here's my story:

It all began in late 2014 when I purchased my first MacBook product - a mid-214 MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display. For those who want to know the full specs, it has a Core i7 2.2 Ghz with 16Gb of RAM.

Now, everything was fine until later in 2015. My screen started ghosting. When I closed an app, the content "stayed" on the screen, but faintly. Almost like a ghost of the last page. Sometimes it did that, sometimes not at all. I went to an Apple Store, showed some photos and succesfully got a free repair. I was still under warranty.

Later that year, with the new screen, weird grey lines started appearing from time to time on my screen, it almost looked like a grid, every line was spaced by 3-4 pixels. The lines were horizontal AND vertical. I didn't go to the Apple Store until 1 month later because I was in my finals and I could use the computer even with the weird lines. Unfortunately, at a point during that 1 month, I opened my computer to see a weird crack in the bottom left of my screen, and black and white lines coming from it. My heart stopped beating. I checked with my finger to feel the crack, but felt nothing. I thought that was really weird. I immediately took an appointment to my Apple Store. Bad luck #2 : When feeling the crack again, I actually cracked the screen itself. Trust me, I wasn't pushing hard AT ALL. I barely TOUCHED it. Anyway, when I got to the Apple Store, they said that it was my fault and that I must have left a pencil or something under the screen when I closed it. I was forced to pay the repair by myself. Fortunately for me, I stayed and talked to the manager, and he accepted to reduce the price to half of it. (~350$ CAD) By the way, I was still under warranty. Now, I was back with a working MacBook and was happy (after all).

Time travel to this morning. The same thing happened, but without the weird lines before. I just opened my laptop to see the crack, IN THE SAME PLACE! It's still UNDER the screen since I can't feel it. But now, the screen flickers every 1-2 seconds and big lines appears and block the entire screen (see video). It's not even 1 year since the last repair. Is there a warranty for repairs? If so, how long is it? Also, could they do it for free? I can't afford to pay another time for a screen. It's not cheap at all!

What can Apple do?

What can I do?

Here's the video of it flickering : https://youtu.be/n59En4t_mBE

TL;DR: My screen was replaced 2 times for the same problem. Now, the problem reappeared, but I'm out of warranty. What can I do?

Thank you for your time,

Jeremy

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on Aug 30, 2016 7:37 PM

There are no replies.

Vertical lines and weird crack UNDER screen on MacBook Pro 15"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.