Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware Safe Finder removal

I recently removed "Advanced Mac Cleaner" malware, and I think that was successful. However, when I use Safari, I have this "Safe Finder" showing up in my browser. It seems to be slowing me down, and I cannot seem to remove it. In support, I found directions to install the latest El Capitan version, and did that. I have restarted, but still have this "Safe Finder" stuff which I do not want. I'd like help removing it, and finding out what else might have infected my Macbook Pro. Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 30, 2016 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 9:50 PM

Thank you so so much! I did what you said and it worked so I should be fine right?? I went to the tab of "extensions" and it says I don't have tha safe finder thing there at all? So I don't have it in my computer anymore right?? Or should I check anywhere else?

21 replies

Jan 15, 2017 3:57 PM in response to doobsdad

I had a similar problem with Safe Finder. Tried everything but it still came up. But then I discovered it was something as simple as changing my landing page. It seems that Safe Finder changed my Safari landing page and kept directing it to that annoying Safe Finder page.

Go to Safari preferences and on the General Tab take a look at what your homepage is set to.

Feb 24, 2017 1:03 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you, I also took your advice and got the tool to download and did all it asked me to and got rid of it. I have also looked at the other advice and did that also. Now I am happy. I have also installed a complete security software and taken advice on the trust only Apple on the downloads and other security issues so it won't go back. I am now going to use them all.

Aug 31, 2016 5:54 AM in response to doobsdad

Hi,

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click: Remove All Website Data

Then back to your menu bar, click History > Clear History.

Quit then relaunch Safari while holding down the Shift key.

If that didn't help, you can use the Malwarebytes free utility to remove it.

Click here > https://www.malwarebytes.com

Then click Download.

Dec 11, 2016 5:23 AM in response to Glenn Pillsbury

Glenn Pillsbury wrote:

The answer marked "Helpful" will not help you. Safe Finder is a Safari extension.

Removing the SafeFinder extension is only part of the solution. SafeFinder is pretty much always installed alongside other adware and junk apps that also need to be dealt with. (I only say "pretty much" because, although I've never seen a SafeFinder infection where this wasn't the case, I recognize the theoretical possibility of such a thing happening.)

Adware Safe Finder removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.