Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

osascript

I keep getting a window: "osascript wants to make changes. Type an admin name and password to allow this." I cancel it but it keeps coming back - Why - should I authorize it? El Capitain 10.11.6

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 1, 2016 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2016 8:36 AM

You have something trying to make changes using the Open Scripting Architecture. Open Scripting Architecture - Developer - Apple

osascript is a command to run a script (AppleScript, JavaScript) from the shell. You'd have to figure out what it is that is calling osascript. There might be some information in the Console logs that may give a clue as to what is trying to run the script. You could try looking at All Messages and search for osascript..

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2016 8:36 AM in response to ppond4

You have something trying to make changes using the Open Scripting Architecture. Open Scripting Architecture - Developer - Apple

osascript is a command to run a script (AppleScript, JavaScript) from the shell. You'd have to figure out what it is that is calling osascript. There might be some information in the Console logs that may give a clue as to what is trying to run the script. You could try looking at All Messages and search for osascript..

Sep 1, 2016 9:25 AM in response to léonie

I was looking at some JavaScript Automation (JXA) stuff earlier in the week, and discovered an example that used osascript to run JXA code contained within a script with this invocation:

#!/usr/bin/env osascript -l JavaScript

// JavaScript/JXA code in here

This is more powerful than just JavaScript because one can use Objective-C objects and methods in this JavaScript code.

Sep 1, 2016 9:43 PM in response to ppond4

ppond4 wrote:

Yes

Then it is probably the Logitech software that is trying to load the scripting addition. I don't have any Logitech software installed any longer, so I cannot test on my Mac where it might be hiding. Look at the manufacturer's side, if there is an update for any software you might have installed.

Sep 2, 2016 1:15 PM in response to léonie

After installing the Security Update for El Capitan and one for Logitech I thought it was gone, but when I restarted it returned. The only way I can keep it from showing is to delete the process "upgrader" in the Activity Monitor. Then osascript doesn't open --- Until I restart, then "upgrader" comes back as a process and with it osascript

osascript

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.