Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac does not start after last security update

Hello,

after the the last security update my iMac (late 2009, El Capitan) does not boot.

The iMac starts, it accepts my user and password input, then the loading bar will stop on approx. 80% and nothing happens ... after hour I switch the iMac off. Repeating this procedure change nothing.

Does someone has an advice for me?

thx

IP

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 2, 2016 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2016 8:39 AM

a solution that helped me:

Re: Security Update Causes Apps To Be Damaged

8 replies

Sep 2, 2016 10:44 AM in response to dwhinkl

Imac 2012 with fusion drive here.... Same problem, a reboot helped but so slow it looks like nothing is responding and the dock never displayed. I used my Superduper backup to restore the backup I took right before the update and all is well now. You need to report this to Apple. I see others with the same issue, mostly iMacs.

Sep 2, 2016 5:43 PM in response to a4n

I have solved this issue by downloading the file secupd2016-001elcapitan.dmg directly from Apple and running that instead of doing the update through the App Store. The install crashed when using the Update from the App Store and ran perfectly when run from the downloaded file.

I have had this problem before on some updates and the full downloaded update file always solved the problem.

iMac does not start after last security update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.