Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari running super slow but Google Chrome is super fast - why?

I know I should probably be using Safari when I'm in any of my Apple products but I find that Safari runs super slow compared to my Google Chrome and I just can't figure out why. Please help.

iMac

Posted on Sep 3, 2016 4:53 AM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2016 5:04 AM in response to lynnfish98

Go step by step and test.

1. Power off the router. Unplug it from the wall. Wait a while.

Plug it back to the wall. Power the router on. Wait until all lights are lit properly. It will take a while.

Restart the computer.

Start up in Safe Mode.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18760?locale=en_US

2. Delete Caches.db

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Hold "option" key down and click "Go" menu in the Finder menu bar.

Select "Library" from the dropdown.

Library > Caches > com.apple.Safari > Caches.db

Right click the Caches.db file and select "Move To Trash”.

Close windows.

Restart and relaunch Safari.

3. Empty Caches

Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box beside "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click Develop and select "Empty Caches" from the dropdown.

4. For more info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203353

If this doesn’t help, please run EtreCheck and post the report here.

http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Download it, open Downloads folder, click on it to open and select ”Open”.

“Choose a problem” from the popup menu box and then “Start EtreCheck” in the dialog.

Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard”

and then paste it when you reply.

Sep 3, 2016 5:42 AM in response to lynnfish98

You can also try going to Safari/Preferences/Extensions and disable all extensions. Quit Safari, reopen, and see if the website will now load. If so, enable extensions one or two at a time until you find which extension is causing the problem.

Also, try restarting Safari with the shift key held down. Try going to Safari/Preferences/Security and uncheck Allow Plug-ins. Quit and reopen Safari. If Safari works normally, Safari/Preferences/Security Plug-in Settings and uncheck all plug-ins. Then Allow Plug-ins and recheck them one at a time until you find the problem.

If the above doesn't work, go to your hard drive level Library/Internet Plug-ins and move them to the Desktop. Restart Safari. If that works, copy the Desktop files back one at a time until you find the problem.

If still no luck, make your user Library visible and repeat the above. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Internet Plug-ins.

Safari running super slow but Google Chrome is super fast - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.