Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

The title says it all, i can't update the iPhoto since several months now. Please Help 🙂

I got a Mac mini with OS X El capitan

iMac, iOS 9.3.3, OSX el capitan 10.11.16

Posted on Sep 5, 2016 3:12 PM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2016 3:30 PM in response to cristobal_488

Mac OS X 10.10.3 and newer include Photos, which is intended as a replacement for iPhoto and can import its library. If you'd like to go on using iPhoto in addition to or instead of switching to Photos, clickhereand try following the instructions; you'll only be able to do so if you previously got iPhoto from or associated it with the Mac App Store.

(144439)

Sep 5, 2016 9:41 PM in response to cristobal_488

Niel and Larry are right - just a short explanation what has happened to iPhoto: Apple stopped the developement of iPhoto and Aperture more than a year ago, when it released the new Photos for Mac application. In the consequence, iPhoto is no longer sold at the AppStore, and you can no longer update older iPhoto versions, that have not been sold from the App Store. The only possible update is by reinstalling an AppStore version, as described in the ", clickhere" link that Niel posted, and that requires iPhoto to be in your Purchases history at the AppStore. But even if you suucceed to to update to iPhoto 9.6.1, the version you need for El Capitan, it will be a dead end. You can no longer purchase any print products from iPhoto and there will be no updates for newer systems.

You can migrate your iPhoto libraries to Photos for Mac. All photos, albums, metadata will be migrated to your new Photos Library, see these links:

Photos for Mac will be supported for the years to come, iPhoto is a dead end now.

Oct 2, 2016 9:53 AM in response to cristobal_488

I was just able to finally get it installed after getting the same error message.

The problem is that if you installed iPhoto from an iLife '11 disc, then the App Store has no record and won't let you update (although it did let me update iMovie for some reason).

Anyway, here are the facts:

iPhoto 9.6.1 works in both El Capitan and Sierra, so it's good for a while.

The solution, which was briefly mentioned in a couple of forums/discussion groups, is this:

I called Apple Support, spoke to someone in App Store support, who said he understood the issue, but could not do anything himself, he transferred me to someone in the Photos dept who temporarily was able to view my screen. He suggested re-installing iPhoto from the disc, to see if the App Store would recognize that and let me update. That didn't work so then he gave a code to type in after clicking on the Redeem link on the Featured page. That then brought iPhoto to the Purchased page, where I was able to download it.

Both people I spoke to were polite and helpful.

iPhoto Update Unavailable with This Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.