Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage does not work on Ethernet

iMessages stopped working, while my iPhone 6S is connected to Ethernet using the USB adapter (Lightning to camera + USB hub + USB to Ethernet combination). It was working until version 9.3.2, but stopped after updating to 9.3.5

Anyone facing this issue? Any solution?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.5, Ethernet

Posted on Sep 6, 2016 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2017 6:43 AM

I have found with latest iOS (11.2.1), iMessages does *not* work on iPhone 7 or iPhone SE with wifi off and airplane mode on when using the ethernet adaptor. Safari does and email works though.

Also, an Ipod 5 running 9.3.5 iOS works with iMessages over ethernet (wifi off, but airplane mode needs to be off. appears odd since it has no cellular/wifi to utilize).

I see no reason technical reason why iMessages/facetime can't be engineered by Apple to work over the ethernet adaptor for the iPhone since it already does on iPod.

Apple - please update iMessages/Facetime to work with ethernet adaptor for iPhones (it would be much appreciated - I did spend a small fortune on your products because I thought from reading these forums that iMessages *did* work on iPhone over ethernet).

Thanks

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2017 6:43 AM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

I have found with latest iOS (11.2.1), iMessages does *not* work on iPhone 7 or iPhone SE with wifi off and airplane mode on when using the ethernet adaptor. Safari does and email works though.

Also, an Ipod 5 running 9.3.5 iOS works with iMessages over ethernet (wifi off, but airplane mode needs to be off. appears odd since it has no cellular/wifi to utilize).

I see no reason technical reason why iMessages/facetime can't be engineered by Apple to work over the ethernet adaptor for the iPhone since it already does on iPod.

Apple - please update iMessages/Facetime to work with ethernet adaptor for iPhones (it would be much appreciated - I did spend a small fortune on your products because I thought from reading these forums that iMessages *did* work on iPhone over ethernet).

Thanks

Sep 6, 2016 8:25 AM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

Honestly, a kludge like that is bound to stop working at some point. I doubt there are very many people facing the issues as I doubt there are very many people with the set up. As for a solution, if you've tried the obvious like resetting network connections, swapping out whatever cables/parts you can for different ones, restoring from back up, restoring as new, and it's still not working, I'd guess there probably isn't much you can do.

Sep 6, 2016 10:15 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I tried resetting the network settings - but it didn't change anything. Had restarted the phone, same situation.

Yes the set up is a bit convoluted, but that was the only option available to connect the iPhone to Ethernet. Now that Apple has introduced the powered Lightning to USB adapter in March, I have to switch to that, so lesser wires to connect to Ethernet. Will shell that 39.99, but wanted to make sure that all the key services will still work on that medium.

Oct 2, 2016 3:52 PM in response to roni2204

The results are the same on iOS 10 as well - with USB3 and USB 2 adapters.

It would have been a great feature to use these services over Ethernet. Now with the USB 3 adapter, I can have the device powered and always on, connected to Ethernet - but can't use the iMessages, FaceTime and calls on Ethernet.

This would have helped me to completely eliminate any electro magnetic radiation for the iPhone and iPad at least in my house and office.

iMessage does not work on Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.