Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime on ethernet

Hi

Currently the FaceTime (both audio and video) doesn't work over the Ethernet (using the Lightning to Camera + Powered USB hub + USB to Ethernet adapter combination to connect to Ethernet) on my iPhone 6S -

Please enable the same - it is a great a feature to miss.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Sep 6, 2016 8:20 AM

20 replies

Sep 24, 2017 6:21 AM in response to vytautasst

vytautasst wrote:

It's embarrassing, in so long time the problem is not fixed. Apple ignores us and in IOS11 no changes towards ethernet support. I'm using Ipad pro, ios11, lightning to usb 3 camera adapter with USB ethernet adapter. Browser works ok, other apps, that use internet works just fine. Apple native applications: IMessage, FaceTime, call routing - no.

IMessage was working for some time, but from August stopped. No good news with Ios11...

There is nothing to do with network configuration: if i switch to wifi , hot spot connected to the same router, all features are working.

Anyone has any news on topic? Shall we all start calling support to get Apple aware of the topic?

Again, Apple is unlikely to fix something they don't consider broken. iOS devices have never been advertised as being Ethernet compatible. Your device is working as designed.

You are certainly free to submit feedback to Apple. Use this page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

But I wouldn't expect to see Apple move in that direction. iOS devices are marketed as portable, wireless devices.

Apr 21, 2017 3:22 PM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

As of today, the below three things do not yet work on Ethernet:

1. FaceTime doesn't work on Ethernet

2. Routing calls through Ethernet - if the calls can be routed through WiFi, then there is no reason to block Ethernet

3. Backup to iCloud

The iMessages now works on Ethernet - Even if the phone is in Airplane mode!!

Thank you iMessages team, now I can leave the phone on airplane mode in the night, next to my bed - without any fear of radiation - and still get the messages.

Apr 30, 2017 9:26 AM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

Thank you for this thread, Joseph. We have a sick family member who can feel the radiation when someone comes in the room with an iPhone in their pocket if it's not on airplane mode. Other radiation has been dealt with: Wi-Fi, cordless phones, microwaves, and smart appliances and smart utility meters are all gone. An RF test meter confirms the reality of what she's feeling. We were hoping that investing in Apple products for ethernet functionality would solve the problem of using our iPhones while at home with her. But, lack of ethernet call routing and facetime doesn't help us much/enough. Please keep posting any progress!

Sep 12, 2017 12:59 AM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

I have an iPad mini 3 and an iPhone SE. Both have iOS 10.3.3.

Facetime does not work on either device

iMessages only works on the iPhone

iCloud backup works on both devices

I can make calls using google hangouts

I don't understand why why Apple would not allow their software to work while their competitors software does work.

If anyone can ever get this working please let us know. Hopefully when Apple does the next upgrade they will fix this issue.

Sep 23, 2017 11:49 PM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

It's embarrassing, in so long time the problem is not fixed. Apple ignores us and in IOS11 no changes towards ethernet support. I'm using Ipad pro, ios11, lightning to usb 3 camera adapter with USB ethernet adapter. Browser works ok, other apps, that use internet works just fine. Apple native applications: IMessage, FaceTime, call routing - no.

IMessage was working for some time, but from August stopped. No good news with Ios11...

There is nothing to do with network configuration: if i switch to wifi , hot spot connected to the same router, all features are working.

Anyone has any news on topic? Shall we all start calling support to get Apple aware of the topic?

Jan 20, 2018 7:18 PM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

I just wanted to add that you can purchase lighting to ethernet (does not require additional power lead which is excellent!). Many articles online say that power is a must via a usb hub but it's not the case. There are many times when I'd like to access the internet using ethernet without wanting to charge my iPhone or iPad

ON AMAZON:

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Overseas-Compact/dp/B0 725PYSP3

DHGATE SITE (possibly the manufacturer):

https://www.dhgate.com/product/lightning-to-rj45-ethernet-lan-wired-network/4053 99784.htmlface

All works great though one limitation is that I can't seam to make calls(cellular) from my MacBook using my connected iPhone that are all on the same WIRED LAN network. eg MacBook and iPhone connected with ethernet via a router(with wifi disabled).

I can make celluar calls from my MacBook via iPhone if they are on the same WIRELESS wifi network with the same router with wifi enabled.

When is does work I'm using the FaceTime app on my MacBook with FaceTime audio selected and calling regular fixed line and cellular phone numbers.

Oct 2, 2016 1:47 PM in response to Joseph Kombarakkaran

We've been missing this feature as well, having to resort to using other services like skype when trying to call our kids at home. We don't use wi-fi at home, and all other internet-related apps still work over ethernet on the ipad/iphone. The only thing NOT working is facetime calls. Most frustrating.

By the way, Apple specifically mention that it's supposed to work with Ethernet adapters:

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Even iOS 10 update hasn't brought a fix...

Oct 2, 2016 2:17 PM in response to roni2204

roni2204 wrote:

By the way, Apple specifically mention that it's supposed to work with Ethernet adapters:

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

I don't see anything there that says that FaceTime should work over Ethernet, only that the connecter allows you to use an ethernet adapter.

Submit your feedback to Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Oct 2, 2016 2:56 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for your reply.

"Allowing to use an ethernet adapter" translates to me as "allowing to use the internet" on the device. Which is exactly what it does – all other network activity works perfectly, and the connection is much faster than wifi. iMessage works too. Why would Facetime calls be forcefully excluded from working over ethernet, while everything else is allowed to work, and considering that facetime did use to work up to a certain iOS version?

Allen, all the ports you mentioned are open. Facetime calls fail immediately on trying. If I enabled wifi on the device, but there's no wifi connection available, it changes behaviour: when a call is attempted, it doesn't fail immediately anymore, but attempts to connect, and times out at some point. This leads me to believe that the app is configured to be completely "off" when wifi is switched off; once wifi is enabled, the app will actively seek a connection - but, again, only via wifi, it doesn't help that ethernet internet is working, facetime still fails.

Oct 2, 2016 3:13 PM in response to roni2204

"Allowing to use an ethernet adapter" translates to me as "allowing to use the internet" on the device.

I would think that's part of this. One does not equal the other. You are admitting the adapter works. So you have not been wronged.

Let me leverage my go to analogy for this...

Just because your car hauls 4 people comfortably doesn't make it a truck for hauling lumber.

iOS was never really designed to use Ethernet. I'll wager a guess there is no "make sure it still works over ethernet" team in the iOS camp. That you have found a kludge which allows it does not, IMO, compel Apple, or any developer for that matter, to provide every last bit of compatibility some users desire.

The need for Ethernet is not lost on me. Some users for various reasons do not have or believe in wifi. So be it.

That belief and choice has its costs.

No FaceTime over Ethernet seems to be one of them

FaceTime on ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.