Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selecting best WiFi automatically

I have my router in one room and because my house is old I need Powerline adapters in another two rooms downstairs. When I move about the house I have to manually switch to the best signal - I've given the WiFi connections at the three points different names so that I can see if the phone is connected to the best one. Is there some way I can arrange for the iPhone to automatically switch to the strongest signal?

I have the same problem with my iPad.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), MacBook Pro. iPhone 6, iPad Air 2

Posted on Sep 7, 2016 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2017 2:11 PM

I have added a wifi extender to my system and now have four new options in my dead zone area; home 2.4, home 5ghz, home 2.4EXT and home 5ghz EXT. When leave the base area (on home 5ghz) and move to the dead zone, the iPhone stays on home 5ghz instead of switching to the stronger 5ghz EXT. Is there a way that the iPhone will switch to the stronger signal?

GH

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2017 2:11 PM in response to RobbieSnr

I have added a wifi extender to my system and now have four new options in my dead zone area; home 2.4, home 5ghz, home 2.4EXT and home 5ghz EXT. When leave the base area (on home 5ghz) and move to the dead zone, the iPhone stays on home 5ghz instead of switching to the stronger 5ghz EXT. Is there a way that the iPhone will switch to the stronger signal?

GH

Sep 7, 2016 8:55 AM in response to RobbieSnr

These articles may help:

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

How iOS decides which wireless network to auto-join - Apple Support

According to the last article, iOS will try to connect to networks in this order:

1. The private network it most recently joined
  2. A private network
  3. A hotspot network

I don't believe the iPhone will automatically switch to the strongest signal (at least until the current signal is completely lost).

Sep 17, 2016 10:33 AM in response to chattphotos

chattphotos wrote:

Set all of your wifi AP's to the same SSID name and the iPhone will roam automatically to the strongest signal and seamlessly too.

AP1 - MyNetwork Ch1 & Ch149

AP2 - MyNetwork Ch6 & Ch 153

AP3 - MyNetwork Ch11 & Ch 161

Set your channels 1,6,11 on 2.4ghz and every other one for 5Ghz (if applicable)

Well I've now been able to change the SSIDs of the two Powerline adaptors to be the same as that of my router, and changed the keys also. I've not changed the channels though, just leaving them set as 'auto'. I see that the WiFi signal strength falls as I move away from an access point until I get near the next one when it increases again so it is definitely connecting to the best access point. Many thanks for that solution.

Selecting best WiFi automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.