Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Issues - 9.1.3 version

Hardware: Macbook Air (early 2015) - OS X Yosemite (10.10.05)

Good day guys. I have just updated my OS X Security and Safari last night. I'm currently having issues with my Safari, it ranges from not being able to load a website (can't establish a secure connection, can't connect to the server) and websites not fully loading.

I have cleared my History, my cookies and restarted the laptop. Anymore suggestions on how to troubleshoot? (I still don't have an external HD, so I hope the solution would be something not jeopardising my files). Hope to hear from you guys. Please and thank you.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

Posted on Sep 7, 2016 3:19 PM

17 replies

Sep 7, 2016 5:04 PM in response to MrBote

You may have a Safari extension or third party plugin installed that's causing a conflict.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Uninstall one extension then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

If extensions and plug-ins aren't the issue, go to your Safari menu bar, click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click: Remove All Website Data then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Sep 8, 2016 5:32 AM in response to MrBote

Also, for anyone who's willing to help, i've taken the liberty to do a "EtreCheck" report:

EtreCheck version: 3.0.3 (307)

Report generated 2016-09-08 20:28:49

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime 2:06

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Apps are crashing

Description:

Safari issues

Hardware Information:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

MacBook Air - model: MacBookAir7,2

1 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 201

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Color LCD 1440 x 900

System Software:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F1912) - Time since boot: less than an hour

Disk Information:

APPLE SSD SM0256G disk0 : (251 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk1) / : 249.78 GB (126.81 GB free)

Core Storage: disk0s2 250.14 GB Online

USB Information:

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper:

Mac App Store and identified developers

System Launch Agents:

[not loaded] 5 Apple tasks

[loaded] 148 Apple tasks

[running] 59 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] 47 Apple tasks

[loaded] 138 Apple tasks

[running] 77 Apple tasks

Launch Agents:

[not loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist [Support]

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (2016-06-29) [Support]

[loaded] com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist (2010-08-25) [Support]

[not loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist [Support]

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist (2015-04-23)

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (2016-07-12) [Support]

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

FlashPlayer-10.6: 22.0.0.209 - SDK 10.9 (2016-07-21) [Support]

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (2016-09-07)

Flash Player: 22.0.0.209 - SDK 10.9 (2016-07-21) Outdated! Update

Default Browser: 600 - SDK 10.10 (2015-09-03)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player (2016-06-29) [Support]

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

112% mdworker(6)

4% com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(5)

4% Safari

4% kernel_task

2% fontd

Top Processes by Memory:

528 MB Google Chrome Helper(6)

467 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(5)

430 MB kernel_task

180 MB imagent

123 MB Google Chrome

Virtual Memory Information:

120 MB Free RAM

3.88 GB Used RAM (857 MB Cached)

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information:

Sep 8, 2016, 07:53:05 PM Self test - passed

Sep 8, 2016 6:34 AM in response to MrBote

That looks fairly clean, although I'd get rid of the Torrent downloader because you can download adware/malware using it.

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History…. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

Sep 9, 2016 8:59 AM in response to Eric Root

Sir Eric, been observing my Safari so far and it is still not back to same performance before this issues started. The frequency of the websites not loading had lessen, but still it persists. I'm guessing it's not the internet connection since my Chrome is working just fine. This is why I don't trust Apple updates. @_@

Sep 9, 2016 10:38 AM in response to MrBote

Try checking your plugins.

Safari 8 (Yosemite): plug-in - remove

Safari plug-ins - unblock

Try restarting Safari with the shift key held down. Try going to Safari/Preferences/Security and uncheck Allow Plug-ins. Quit and reopen Safari. If Safari works normally, Safari/Preferences/Security Plug-in Settings and uncheck all plug-ins. Then Allow Plug-ins and recheck them one at a time until you find the problem.

If the above doesn't work, go to your hard drive level Library/Internet Plug-ins and move them to the Desktop. Restart Safari. If that works, copy the Desktop files back one at a time until you find the problem.

If still no luck, make your user Library visible and repeat the above. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Internet Plug-ins.

Safari Issues - 9.1.3 version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.