Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup apple watch data without an iPhone

My iPhone died and the backup is 30 days old, but my apple watch keeps my activity data complete but is no longer connected to the phone. If I erase it there is no phone to make a backup so I will lose my data, if I don't then I can't pair it. Is there any way out of this situation. Please advise

Apple Watch, watchOS 2.2.2

Posted on Sep 7, 2016 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2016 3:46 PM

I do not see any way you can backup your Apple Watch now.

Apple Watch content backs up automatically to your companion iPhone. When you back up your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes, your iPhone backup will also include your Apple Watch data.

Back up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

5 replies

Sep 8, 2016 3:47 PM in response to OctavioTV

Hi

It is not possible to back up watch data without access to the paired iPhone.

When pairing your watch to any replacement iPhone, you will retain whatever activity data may be included in the backup from which that replacement iPhone is restored.

For Activity and Health data to be included in an iPhone backup, it must be encrypted.

Backups made via iTunes without choosing the option to Encrypt iPhone backup do not include Health or Activity data. iCloud backups are encrypted as standard.

More information:

Switch your Apple Watch to a new iPhone - Apple Support

Backup apple watch data without an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.