Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing Calendar Cache when Calendar won't close down.

I'm running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 on my Macbook Pro. I've copied and pasted data from an outside source like the internet into new Calendar event and suddenly Calendar program freezes once I paste in the excessively long entry. Now my Calendar program is stuck on this one entry and refuses to close even when I try to force close the app. I can't even Shut down my computer because Calendar will not close down. This scenario has happened to me 3 separate times and it was difficult to resolve because I had forgotten the answer as the time spans between events were too great. And let's face it when you resolve an infrequent issue you generally want to forget about it. So here is the solution that worked for me:

Go to the Finder menu...and select Go whilst pressing down the Option key this will give you an additional option on the submenu called Library.

Select Library which will open another folder

Within the Library folder select calendar cache typically you'll find 3 files made today titled:

Calendar Cache

Calendar Cache-shm

Calendar Cache-wal

Select and drag these 3 files to the Trash

Close the Calendar App using the force quit process

Restart your computer

Open Calendar and find the offending entry and don't open it just click once and delete it. If you open it you'll have to go through the cache clearing process again. Hope this helps someone.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 8, 2016 11:55 AM

2 replies

Sep 8, 2016 8:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yes, I tried the option you mentioned first as it seemed a logical solution to shutting down my computer however when the computer was rebooted the Calendar app automatically reopened and had the same problematic issue as before. The only way I found to resolve this problem was by clearing the calendar cache. The question I posed originally was not really a question but a solution i found to my particular problem. Thanks though for trying to help out with what seemed to be a simpler solution but sadly it doesn't work in this instance, clearing the Calendar Cache works.

Clearing Calendar Cache when Calendar won't close down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.