Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup Software

I have a DROBO 5N network drive that I've been using to back up my MackBook Air using Time Machine. The only problem is that on a fairly regular basis I get a message from Time Machine that says it cannot verify the backup and needs to start from scratch.

Has anyone use an alternate backup program that uses a network drive and can do incremental backups like Time Machine? I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks

Alan

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Sep 9, 2016 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2016 9:19 AM

There’s nothing quite like TimeMachine but there are several good backup programs that archive files that have been changed since the last backup. I like ChronoSync and DataBackup. I’ve used both but for my purposes I like ChronoSync a little better to that’s the one I’m using now. Both will back up to a mounted network drive and both can be set to keep archives of changed files.

One caveat: while I use ChronoSync to back up to a NAS I’m not using it as a source for using Migration Assistant to restore my iMac. I decided that wasn’t a good solution. Instead, I back up data only to the NAS and I use a local USB 3 drive for keeping a TimeMachine backup.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2016 9:19 AM in response to English Rebel

There’s nothing quite like TimeMachine but there are several good backup programs that archive files that have been changed since the last backup. I like ChronoSync and DataBackup. I’ve used both but for my purposes I like ChronoSync a little better to that’s the one I’m using now. Both will back up to a mounted network drive and both can be set to keep archives of changed files.

One caveat: while I use ChronoSync to back up to a NAS I’m not using it as a source for using Migration Assistant to restore my iMac. I decided that wasn’t a good solution. Instead, I back up data only to the NAS and I use a local USB 3 drive for keeping a TimeMachine backup.

Sep 9, 2016 9:23 AM in response to dwb

Thanks I'll look into that. I do have a 1TB USB 3 hard drive that I used to use for Time Machine before I got the NAS so I'll do a full Time Machine backup to it and keep it if I ever need to do a complete restore.

I assume in that case I would boot to the USB drive, restore from there and then recover my personal data by entering Time Machine and restoring the latest backup from there.

Thanks

Alan

Backup Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.