Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exclamation mark on iPhone photos

I am facing the problem that my photos are blurred with an encircled exclamation mark at the right end of the corner.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Sep 9, 2016 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2018 10:42 AM

Hi Siddharthbangar,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities.

It looks like others have been wondering about blurred photos and an exclamation mark icon in Photos, too. There are many helpful responses in this thread so far, and I'm happy to point out some other resources.

As mentioned, an exclamation mark icon on a picture in the Photos app means the full resolution image has not been downloaded to your iOS device.

This is expected if iCloud Photos is set to “Optimize iPhone Storage” and storage space on your device is low. For help with storage, see How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Even if iCloud Photos is set to “Download and Keep Originals” and you have plenty of storage space, you might still see blurry pictures and an exclamation mark after restoring from an iCloud backup.

You can verify which setting is being used on your device by following these steps:

Set up and use iCloud Photos

iCloud Photos keeps all of your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. You can save space on your device when you turn on Optimize Storage.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them. You can use Optimize Storage on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

There’s a quick way to download a full resolution photo to your device on iOS, so if you see blurry photos and an exclamation mark, try this first:

Use iCloud Photos on iPhone - iPhone User Guide

Download a full-resolution photo

If Optimize Storage is on, pick and choose which videos to store as full-resolution.

Select a photo, then pinch in to zoom to 100%. Or, tap Edit. The full-resolution photo or video downloads automatically.

If your iOS device isn’t downloading full resolution photos, make sure you have a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection. As others have mentioned, you might also need to turn off Low Power Mode for iCloud Photos to sync.

If you're having trouble with a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection, you can find some troubleshooting advice in If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network and If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad.

After checking all of the above, you can find more troubleshooting advice in Get help with iCloud Photos.

Cheers!

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2018 10:42 AM in response to Siddharthbangar

Hi Siddharthbangar,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities.

It looks like others have been wondering about blurred photos and an exclamation mark icon in Photos, too. There are many helpful responses in this thread so far, and I'm happy to point out some other resources.

As mentioned, an exclamation mark icon on a picture in the Photos app means the full resolution image has not been downloaded to your iOS device.

This is expected if iCloud Photos is set to “Optimize iPhone Storage” and storage space on your device is low. For help with storage, see How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Even if iCloud Photos is set to “Download and Keep Originals” and you have plenty of storage space, you might still see blurry pictures and an exclamation mark after restoring from an iCloud backup.

You can verify which setting is being used on your device by following these steps:

Set up and use iCloud Photos

iCloud Photos keeps all of your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. You can save space on your device when you turn on Optimize Storage.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

1. Tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them. You can use Optimize Storage on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

There’s a quick way to download a full resolution photo to your device on iOS, so if you see blurry photos and an exclamation mark, try this first:

Use iCloud Photos on iPhone - iPhone User Guide

Download a full-resolution photo

If Optimize Storage is on, pick and choose which videos to store as full-resolution.

Select a photo, then pinch in to zoom to 100%. Or, tap Edit. The full-resolution photo or video downloads automatically.

If your iOS device isn’t downloading full resolution photos, make sure you have a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection. As others have mentioned, you might also need to turn off Low Power Mode for iCloud Photos to sync.

If you're having trouble with a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection, you can find some troubleshooting advice in If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network and If you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad.

After checking all of the above, you can find more troubleshooting advice in Get help with iCloud Photos.

Cheers!

Dec 22, 2017 11:03 AM in response to Eric Root

Can you please explain exactly what you mean by Settings > iCloud > slide off syncing? I’m using iOS 11.2.1, so maybe it’s different? I went to Settings > iCloud and I don’t see anything that says “syncing”. I have tried everything else, and when I read this I tried to follow your instructions, but I don’t see “syncing”. I clicked on Photos after going to Settings > iCloud and I tried to turn off iCloud Photo Library, but it gave the screen that I’m attaching as a screenshot. I obviously don’t want to take the chance of losing any of my photos, and this would be very time consuming. If I’m missing something, please tell me what I’m missing. I’m having a lot of trouble with this lately and it’s becoming very frustrating because it interferes with my work. Thanks so much!User uploaded file

Exclamation mark on iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.