Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Tower 2012 Unresponsive (Power Light On, Red LED in tower on)

Found my Mac Pro 2012 tower unresponsive today with the power light on and a red led light on inside the tower. Researched and couldn't find anyone that had had this exact issue (unless I am missing something) and I am also having trouble understanding what the LED light means and how I should proceed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 9, 2016 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2016 9:02 AM

Remove all external devices and shut down, disconnect all external cables

check your GPU for dust/dirt/creep (where it 'creeps' out of the socket), you can remove this but when undertaking this make sure you are properly grounded at all times and the components are put into static free containers, then clean the interior of the computer with compressed air making sure you do not damage connectors by blasting them point blank.

Replace the GPU and follow the directions to reset the SMC.

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

see the yellow highlight

User uploaded file

Plug directly into a grounded wall outlet not a power strip or battery backup.

failing that replace the CMOS battery on the logic board, after that leave the unit unplugged for 30 minutes or more.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2016 9:02 AM in response to forbesrpm

Remove all external devices and shut down, disconnect all external cables

check your GPU for dust/dirt/creep (where it 'creeps' out of the socket), you can remove this but when undertaking this make sure you are properly grounded at all times and the components are put into static free containers, then clean the interior of the computer with compressed air making sure you do not damage connectors by blasting them point blank.

Replace the GPU and follow the directions to reset the SMC.

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

see the yellow highlight

User uploaded file

Plug directly into a grounded wall outlet not a power strip or battery backup.

failing that replace the CMOS battery on the logic board, after that leave the unit unplugged for 30 minutes or more.

Sep 12, 2016 9:05 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

Thanks for the reply, I followed the first couple of steps and the red light no longer is on. Though when I connect to a monitor and keyboard and turn the computer on I am getting a flashing folder with a question mark and then it turns off after about a minute. I am also unable to access "recovery mode"

Just to clarify, I need to replace my GPU entirely? Like purchase a new one and install the hardware? I feel like that might be above my abilities if that is the case.

Again, I really appreciate the advice.

Sep 12, 2016 9:52 AM in response to lllaass

So, currently, there aren't any PCIe cards in the slots that are demonstrated for installation in the video. With that in mind, would installing a replacement graphics card still be the thing to do?

This is sort of what I am looking at. And again with the computer able to turn on but with a flashing folder question mark icon, and I am unable to access "recovery mode"

User uploaded file

Sep 20, 2016 1:31 PM in response to lllaass

So to update my situation. I popped the HDD into another Mac Pro and was able to see it and back it up. I was also able to create a bootable USB drive that seems to work save for that the computer can't see HDD in disk utility or as a location to install an OS.

So given that I can see the drive and it works fine in another computer. Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be failing on my computer?

Thanks!

Mac Pro Tower 2012 Unresponsive (Power Light On, Red LED in tower on)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.