Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I activate sim free new iphone se?

Buying my first iphone se I just took delivery, but since I bought it unlocked and sim free, it won't activate. Apple support says I need a sim card. Wish I had known that, maybe I should have but here I am.

So if I just want to use my iphone as an ipod and camera and for the apps, how do I activate this iphone se so I can use it on my home wireless network?

I tried getting itunes to activate it, and so did support, but they gave up and said it needed a sim card.

What are my cheapest options?

I so wish apple had included a simple line on the ad that said if you buy this iphone se to use as an ipod, and you buy it unlocked, you won't be able to activate it.

Hugh

Posted on Sep 9, 2016 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2016 4:10 PM

The iPhone cannot be activated without a SIM card period.

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

4 replies

Sep 9, 2016 4:58 PM in response to Rysz

No other device. Feeling a little dumb, like I never knew what most people know. Probably should have bought the one with a sim card installed as it wasn't going to cost more, but the apple site seemed to say sim free was a good option.

Oh well, if any sim card will do, I will check out the cheapest....

thanks for your help.

Hugh

Sep 10, 2016 3:46 AM in response to hughmass

Buying a SIM free phone has its advantages. For example, you won't need to ask your carrier to unlock it.

If you wont be using it as phone, you could have bought a much cheaper iPod touch (You have 14 days to exchange it or get your money back).

If you will be using it as a phone, just go to any decent mall and get set up with the carrier you actually want to use. No need for "intermediate" SIMs.

how do I activate sim free new iphone se?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.