Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung 850 EVO as boot drive doesn't work

So I have a Samsung 850 EVO installed in a Akitio Thunder 2 Quad. On this SSD, I have OS X 10.11.6. When I boot up my Mac Pro (2013-black), the screen remains dark. When I remove the Samsung from the bay, the Mac boots up without issue's using my internal drive.

Does anyone know what would prevent the Samsung drive from booting up OS X externally? Thanks!

Posted on Sep 9, 2016 10:40 PM

15 replies

Sep 10, 2016 12:45 AM in response to Imagine

How was OSX installed on the Samsung drive?

If you reconnect the drive after booting from the internal drive does System Preferences>Startup Disk show the external drive as a startup disk?

Have you tried moving the Samsung disk to another bay?

Are there other drives in the enclosure?

Does the Samsung drive have the latest firmware?

Sep 10, 2016 1:20 PM in response to lllaass

Hi lllaass,

Here are answers to your questions.

How was OSX installed on the Samsung drive? I used SuperDuper. That's always worked for me.

If you reconnect the drive after booting from the internal drive does System Preferences>Startup Disk show the external drive as a startup disk? Yes, I can also see the drive when booting up holding the Option key.

Have you tried moving the Samsung disk to another bay? No, this is the next step. But I did try another enclosure and it still wouldn't boot.

Are there other drives in the enclosure? Yes, the enclosure holds 4 drives.

Does the Samsung drive have the latest firmware? I tried looking for the latest firmware, but cab't find it anywhere.

Notice the two pictures. The folders in the internal drive are correct. When I SuperDuper'd the internal to the external drive, the external drive looked identical, but after I tried to use the external as a boot up drive, it created extra folders which you can see in the pic below.

I don't know how to proceed. Maybe it's just a firmware issue, but I can't seem to locate that. Thanks!

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Samsung 850 EVO as boot drive doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.