Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain + iCloud + Photos problems on MBPro since changed password and set firmware password

Hello,

I recently changed the login password on my the main account on my MBPro and added a firmware password but that did not seem to work correctly: every time I reboot Keychain keeps asking me to access the local keychain and all iCloud apps are disabled. I also seem to have issues with Photos. FYI my boot HD is encrypted with FileVault.

I put all the details about the problems below, along with what I have tried so far (based on suggestions gathered from these forums) as well as some Console log items that seem odd.

I am not sure how to proceed at this point as some options could make things worse if not done properly (or in the right sequence). I’m tempted to disable the Firmware password, or revert to the old password, or disable FileVault to see if the problems goes away, but I’m concerned that this could make things worse (and I would also want those features to work eventually). I also have the option to reinstall the OS and revert to a previous TimeMachine back up.

I’d appreciate anyone’s help on this one.

Many thanks.

Dom

Specs

MBPro Core i5 2.7 Ghz 13" Retina

16GB RAM 256 GB SSD + 2 Tb external HD.

Mac OS X 10.11.16 (15G1004)

FileVault is running on boot drive (SSD).

Firmware password was set.

I have a TimeMachine back up (on a second external HD).

I have installed a functional copy of OS X on a 3rd external HD.

I don’t use iCloud Keychain.

I have another admin account that works.

Problems:

1) Keychain: every time I boot, the CommCenter asks for the session Keychain password (I then need to enter previous admin password).

I am then asked if I want to update the local Keychain: for this to work I have to enter my new login password in the ‘current password’ and then I type the same one in the new password fields. Once I reboot the problem reappears: exact same sequence, just as if the information could not stick. Might have something to do with FileVault and Firmware password.

2) iCloud: after rebooting and re-entering my Keychain passwords as described above, none of the iCloud apps are working (Mail, Messages, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, Find my Mac, iCloud Drive, etc).

It keeps telling me tells me it is not able to connect to iCloud and asked me to try to do so in the Preferences panel. When I tried logging in there, it failed to connect to iCloud and said to try later.

3) Photos: when launching Photos it says it can not open the System library and offers me to pick one. When I pick the correct one, it opens fine but a ton of pictures are no longer referenced correctly. All images come my an external HD (the iPhoto library is also on the same HD), and nothing has changed in the folder structure.

What I tried (after running TimeMachine).

1-I Installed latest Mac OS update.

2-I activated the Guest account and tried logging in: it only runs Safari.

3-I logged in using another admin account: no problems with Keychain and all iCloud apps are working. Did not try Photos since that account does not have a Photo library and is not configured to access the one on the main account.

4-I tried booting in safemode: doesnotwork(Might have something to do with FileVault and Firmware password).

5-Back to the main account I ran Disk Aid and fixed Permissions: disks appear to be ok.

6-In the Key Chain App I locked and Unlocked the Keychain using the Lock in the top left corner of the app. When asked for my password I simply typed my User password. When I rebooted I had the same problems.

7-I tried updated the password in the Keychain app by entering the old password and then my new login password in the other two fields (New password and Confirm). Still having issues with iCloud, and upon rebooting I get the same Keychain issues.

8-I tried reinitializing my default Keychain: I got an error because I don’t have the authorization to do that.

9-I tried creating a new session Keychain and making it the default keychain but I keep getting the same problems (iCloud not working + same password issues after I reboot).

10-iCloud: I tried to close the iCloud session, then re-entering my iCloud ID and password, but it either says it can not connect or that this Mac is already connected to this account. I closed the iCloud session again, used Safari to Manage my AppleID (https://appleid.apple.com/), listed the associated devices and removed my MacBook from the list: I still have the same issues even after rebooting. I even tried deleting the iCloud account from the Internet accounts preferences panel, but it is not listed. I tried adding it, but it says that this Mac is already connected.

11-In Terminal, I pasted the special find command found in some threads (find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) 2>&- | wc -l | pbcopy) and got 21 as a result the first time, and 22 just now.

12-Looking at the console logs just after reboot, I see a couple of things that seem odd which appear multiple times with slight variations (I’m only pasting one example):

Sandbox: launchd(1) System Policy: deny(1) file-write-unlink /private/var/run/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64h

The HideUntilCheckIn property is an architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.

sharedfilelistd[356]: [default] Failed to save SharedFileList to /Users/Marc/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentApplications. sfl with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentApplications.sfl” in the folder “com.apple.sharedfilelist”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/Marc/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentApplications. sfl, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fd93a70ec20 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "Permission denied"}}

[NetworkDefaults]: Failed to write new network defaults to disk: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “networkDefaults.plist” in the folder “GeoServices”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/Marc/Library/Caches/GeoServices/networkDefaults.pli st, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fb1dbf69530 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "Permission denied"}}

Keychain Circle Notification[448]: Posted at launch: (

)

securityd_xpc_dictionary_handler Keychain Circle [448] DeviceInCircle Error Domain=com.apple.security.sos.error Code=4 "Keybag never unlocked, ask after first unlock" UserInfo={NSDescription=Keybag never unlocked, ask after first unlock}

iconservicesagent[381]: -[ISGenerateImageOp generateImageWithCompletion:] Failed to composit image for descriptor <ISBindingImageDescriptor: 0x7fbfe36118a0>.

accountsd[384]: [Warning] Services all disappeared, removing all accounts

SpotlightNetHelper[420]: tcp_connection_tls_session_error_callback_imp 12 __tcp_connection_tls_session_callback_write_block_invoke.434 error 22

Quicksilver[470]: Error resolving alias at file:///Volumes/ABC/DEF/GHI.JPG%20alias: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-35 "nsvErr: no such volume"

Sandbox: SpotlightNetHelp(420) deny(1) file-read-data /Applications/App Store.app

(this gets repeated for many apps and their content files)

12-Looking at the console logs just after entering my iCLoud credentials (in the ICloud prefs panels) I am getting at least on error that is similar to the logs after reboot (Failed to save SharedFileList)

com.apple.preferences.icloud.remoteservice[512]: Error Domain=AKAuthenticationError Code=-7034 "(null)" : AKAuthenticationErrorForcedFailure

com.apple.preferences.icloud.remoteservice[512]: Error in CoreDragRemoveTrackingHandler: -1856

com.apple.preferences.icloud.remoteservice[512]: Error in CoreDragRemoveReceiveHandler: -1856

sharedfilelistd[283]: [default] Failed to save SharedFileList to /Users/Marc/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentDocuments.sfl with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentDocuments.sfl” in the folder “com.apple.sharedfilelist”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/Marc/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentDocuments.sfl , NSUnderlyingError=0x7f915242c1b0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "Permission denied"}}

sharedfilelistd[283]: -[ListStoreSnapshot writeToFile:] Failed to save SharedFileList to /Users/Marc/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentDocuments.sfl with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=513 "You don’t have permission to save the file “com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentDocuments.sfl” in the folder “com.apple.sharedfilelist”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/Users/Marc/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.RecentDocuments.sfl , NSUnderlyingError=0x7f915242c1b0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=13 "Permission denied"}}

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), SSD with FileVault

Posted on Sep 10, 2016 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 8:58 PM

Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password

Keychain Issues - Resolve see post by Kappy

OS X always asking to use your keychain passwords

Try going to System Preferences/iCloud and stop syncing. Wait a couple of minutes, then recheck syncing.

Have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2016 8:58 PM in response to Me me me!

Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password

Keychain Issues - Resolve see post by Kappy

OS X always asking to use your keychain passwords

Try going to System Preferences/iCloud and stop syncing. Wait a couple of minutes, then recheck syncing.

Have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

Sep 10, 2016 10:05 PM in response to Me me me!

OK, so I tried to run a command suggested by Linc Davis on the following thread Keychain gets destroyed regularly "Section A Step 1 - Some of your user files (not system files) have incorrect permissions or are locked. This procedure will unlock those files and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default."

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nosappnd,noschg,nosunlnk,nouappnd,nouchg {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

This fixed my iPhoto and iCloud problems and that's awesome!

Thanks Linc!

I'm only left with Problem #1: after rebooting, Keychain still asks me to access the local keychain, and I am also asked to update its password. It seems like they don't get saved, or that either Fievault 2 or the firmware password prevent from saving thsi password.

Sep 14, 2016 9:27 PM in response to Eric Root

Bingo!

I made a list of everything that was suggested in the links you provided:

-Update your existing login keychain: tried but password doesn’t stick after every reboot

-Keychain First Aid: no longer exists under OS 10.11

-Make the "login" keychain the default: tried this, it was already the default.

-Delete your keychain then recreate it: I have not tried deleting it per se, I instead tried to create a new login keychain, but it did not work.

-Login as root and perform repair: I have not tried this yet.

This last suggestion was next on my list (along with deleting the keychain) until I figured I might try this easy one first:

-Navigate to ~/Library/Keychains/ (this is the Library folder inside your user's home folder). Find the file named "login.keychain" and double-click it.

I have no idea why this worked, but that solved my problem.

In addition to the 3 things described above, I have run Disk First Aid to fix permissions, locked/unlocked the keychain, tried reinitializing the Keychain (failed), changed permissions and lock status of user files (that solved the iCloud and iPhoto issues)... But still had the same issue.

And all it took was double-clicking on this obscure file! Perhaps the other things I tried helped, but I did not even think that this had any chance of working.

Merci beaucoup Eric! Have a wonderful day.

Dom

Keychain + iCloud + Photos problems on MBPro since changed password and set firmware password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.