Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong date on exporting iCloud photos

Hi,

i have got a problem. All my pictures, i have taken with my iPhone are saved in the iCloud. I like to save these pictures also on my own device, on my hard disk.

My problem is, when i save the pictures on my hdd, the date is incorrect. I only get the export-date as file-creation date. I want to get the date i have taken the picture. Is there any possibility?

Thanks for your answers.

Yours, Philip

Posted on Sep 10, 2016 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2016 6:03 AM

My problem is, when i save the pictures on my hdd, the date is incorrect. I only get the export-date as file-creation date. I want to get the date i have taken the picture. Is there any possibility?

That is the expected behaviour. the download from iCloud creates a new file, the file creation date will be the date the file has been created. But the capture date of the photo will be embedded as an EXIF tag and most photo editors will use this EXIF tag to show the capture time of the photo. For example, I just downloaded a photo from www.icloud.com and opened it in Preview. The Inspector is showing the correct capture date as an EXIF tag "Date/Time Original":

User uploaded file

But there is no way to set the file creation date to the capture date during the download. You would have to set the system clock of your Mac back or change the creation date of the file afterwards with a tool like "A Better Finder".

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2016 6:03 AM in response to flipse27

That is the expected behaviour. the download from iCloud creates a new file, the file creation date will be the date the file has been created. But the capture date of the photo will be embedded as an EXIF tag and most photo editors will use this EXIF tag to show the capture time of the photo. For example, I just downloaded a photo from www.icloud.com and opened it in Preview. The Inspector is showing the correct capture date as an EXIF tag "Date/Time Original":

User uploaded file

But there is no way to set the file creation date to the capture date during the download. You would have to set the system clock of your Mac back or change the creation date of the file afterwards with a tool like "A Better Finder".

Sep 10, 2016 6:35 AM in response to flipse27

If you use the Photos.app on the Mac, enabled for iCloud Photo Library, and use File > Export > Export Unmodified Original File, it will also use the Capture Exif tag as the file creation date to save the file from iCloud. The difference is, that Photos for Mac and Image Capture are photo applications, who understand the EXIF tags of image files and the download using a web browser is treating the downloaded image files as simple files and not as photos.

wrong date on exporting iCloud photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.