Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 Closed Captioning Won't Turn Off

I have closed captioning set to off in the settings of my Apple TV 4 but they will automatically play when livestreaming some apps. Any way to get that to stop? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 12, 2016 8:22 AM

10 replies

May 17, 2017 5:50 PM in response to RJB330

I'm experiencing the exact same issue right now using the TNT app on my Apple TV 4. I swipe up during my program and toggle the CC on/off switch and neither direction works. I went to the Apple TV settings and turned off CC in the accessibility menu and that hasn't worked. Closed captions are stuck on and I'm freaking out.

I'm going to reboot the device and see if that helps. Sleeping it did not help

Sep 27, 2017 8:16 PM in response to ampedtwiz

I am having the exact same issue using Apple TV app to watch episodes on the AMC app. I asked, "What did he say?" and now subtitles are permenantly stuck on. I have checked subtitles in three settings. in the down swipe menu, and in two different places on the Settings menu. I have also tried usin Siri as well as pressing the center of the tap button on my remote. I have even unplugged the Apple TV for 30 seconds. NOTHING has been effective in getting the subtitles to turn off. This thread has been going on Since September 2016?! Is anyone at apple actually paying attention to these threads?

Nov 11, 2017 6:33 PM in response to sal5051

I don’t know if this will work for you... but I was watching “Arrival “ and get two cc up on screen. One from the movie (alien talking), and one coming up for AppleTv. I researched here to find the answer, but nothing was working. So... while the movie was playing I grabbed the remote and said “ show closed caption “ .... even though I was already seeing it, then I said “ turn off closed cation”and all gone now except forced closed caption from foreign language from the movie. Hope this helps

Oct 29, 2017 9:03 PM in response to Trish1400

I am having same issue with AMC app. I have tried everything and can't get the CC to turn off. It's the only app I'm having issues with

Apple TV 4 Closed Captioning Won't Turn Off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.