Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does backup in iTunes also backup pictures and videos

My son has a ton of pictures (and a few videos) on his iPhone 5s. He is currently on IOS 8.x. I want to upgrade his phone to ISO 9.x. If I connect to iTunes and do a "backup", will everything on the phone (including pictures and video) get backup up? I know that when I connect my iPhone, the Photo application opens up asking me to upload my pictures from my phone. I realize this is a good idea as well, but if I skip that step and JUST do the iTunes backup, am I safe in case I need to erase and restore from the backup? Will I get all my pictures back as well?

Thanks.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2010 Intel Core 2 Duo / 8GB RAM

Posted on Sep 12, 2016 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2016 1:17 PM

Hi,

An iTunes backup will save nearly everything on the iPhone including pictures on the camera roll, just as long as the photos were not downloaded from the computer but taken directly from the iPhone's camera. For more info on backups, see About backups for iOS devices.

Cheers!

6 replies

Sep 12, 2016 1:33 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

About Backup and Restore

1. Choosing an iOS Backup Method (Should I Use iTunes or iCloud to back up ...)

2. Back up and Restore your iOS Device with iCloud or iTunes

3. iTunes: About iOS Backups

4. Create and Delete iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Backups in iTunes

5. iOS: Troubleshooting Encrypted Backups

6. Find and manage your iTunes backups

7. iTunes- About iOS backups

8. If you need help restoring from an iTunes Backup

9. Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

10. About backups in iCloud and iTunes

Of particular interest should be Item 10 from the above that explains how iOS and iTunes backups differ. Normally, pictures are stored on the computer or in a Photos/iPhoto library rather than in iTunes or iOS because of storage space concerns. This is the same for videos. Both, however, can be stored in your iTunes library for syncing to your devices.

Sep 12, 2016 1:14 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

While photos and video are part of the backup, it is much better to import them to the computer, since there is always a chance something could go wrong, and I don't think you want to say that restoring the device lost all of those "tons of pictures". You can import them, leave them there and then backup. If there is a problem with the restore, at least you still have the photos.

Does backup in iTunes also backup pictures and videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.