Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad no longer charges from Computer after update to iOS 10

Since I've updated to IOS 10 on my iPad Air 2, it will not charge using my computer (An iMac) or when connected to my car. It worked before I updated. Any idea how to get this to work again?

-Mike

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 8:58 AM

80 replies

Sep 14, 2016 9:46 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Funny thing. I got on chat with Apple support. They had me reboot and told me all the ways the cables could be bad.

Then I gave them my serial number and a the chat got cut off. I gave up. About 10 minutes later, it started working on my computer (I did nothing). I just tried it in the car and it's working there as well.. Hmmmmm.. Weird, but I'm happy it's working now. 🙂

Sep 14, 2016 10:38 AM in response to mgdell

Green Gremlins is what we called this kinda stuff long ago in the MacPlus daze

It is NOT POSSIBLE that they did anything remotely...

The ONLY event between no joy and joy is the reboot - thus, cause and effect.

However, your issue also involves "cabling" does it not? You have to connect, disconnect, connect, etc. a bunch of times too. Possible that the port had some junk in it and the issue merely appeared coincidentally with the iOS 10 upgrade (I am NOT a big believer in coincidence) - the repeated plug/un-plug may have dislodged the gunk (I give that about a 5% chance of being true)

I suggest finding some solid hardwood furniture and knock on it repeatedly to ensure continued good fortune 😉

Sep 14, 2016 1:13 PM in response to bobseufert

I have seen at least one credible on-line article concerning a period of housekeeping being at the root of battery drain and device heat - back when iOS 9 came out - or what we would consider a Major upDATE of iOS 9 (9.3?) - I forget which, but remember the subject matter

Which makes sense (except that 'refusing to charge the device' doesn't sound like a planned chore)

Sep 14, 2016 2:52 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Before I upgraded I charged my phone on my computer with no issues, and never any issues. Once I upgraded, my computer will not charge the phone when it is sleeping. It also intermittently stops charging the phone. I always plug it into my computer over night with the laptop closed, when I wake up it is fully charged. I did that last night and woke up with 2% battery. Something is askew with the update.

iPad no longer charges from Computer after update to iOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.