Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mail app with jpg attachments

I have a two-month-old MacBook Pro running El Capitan.

It came with Apple's Mail app.

I need to be able to send original jpg (or jpeg) images as an attachment that can be opened by anyone on any computer, using any mail service.

I have tried everything I can think of, but when sending a 'jpg' image as an attachment, to either 'GMAIL' or a Windows device, the attachment becomes embedded which is useless to me. I need to send an "attachment" just as I might send a data file, or a 'zip' file, or anything else - whatever the attachment is should make no difference.

I can't get this to work.

All the Apple technicians who have taken control of my laptop and tried it on their own have failed.

There are people at Apple who tell me this works fine - but not for me. If the email shows up on GMAIL or another computer, and has the "paperclip" icon, things work properly. If the paperclip icon is not there, I can only save a copy of the image.

As a test, I purchased and installed the "Airmail" app. Works fine. No problem with attachments.

Another option is to send the image as a compressed file. That works.

Another option is to put the image into a folder, and attach the folder. That seems to work.

I can get the image to my iPhone, and mail it from there - no problems.

Can anyone advise what I need to buy, or change, or do, to fix this?

(If there is no answer, what is the best professional email program to buy?)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2017 1:29 PM

i've been looking for a similar solution as well. found a current plug-in for mac OS mail. the developer seems to be rather responsive to inquiries and suggestions. it does cost $15, it might me worth spending not to have the aggravation.

http://clivegaleni.com/os-x-mail-anti-inline-plugin/

13 replies

May 29, 2017 11:43 PM in response to mikemyersN8

Hi

I just had the same experience and tried the suggested 'fix' from the terminal, which works ok, but who needs it right?

Then i realised that when you attach a jpg file and you get the picture in the body, you also get a drop down selection box right above it on the right hand side, where you can change the Image Size from 'small' the default, to something else, like 'actual', and hey presto, files transfer with all exif data intact works fine.

Oh, it just occurred to me that you need to export from Photos in Actual size as well, if that's where your snaps are coming from.

cheers, bb

May 30, 2017 3:13 AM in response to BBfromACT

Oh, it just occurred to me that you need to export from Photos in Actual size as well, if that's where your snaps are coming from.

There is no "actual size" setting when exporting from Photos.

Size refers to the dimensions of the photograph - its length by breadth, measured in pixels. It's complex because you camera doesn't take photos at "actual" size in a real-world sense.

Also, as Photos is evolving quite rapidly it's good to tell us what version you are using.

May 30, 2017 4:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi

You're right, it's 'Full Size' not 'Actual size'. My bad

Photos Version 1.5 (370.42.0)

Of course size refers to the physical size of the image, but it is directly reflected in the size of the file and hence the amount of information stored. I was be wrong about exporting from Photos, i got confused, but I am absolutely correct about changing the size in Mail.app. If you attach the file and use 'Small', exif fields such as Description and Keywords disappear. This is most easily seen by: attach a jpeg file. select small size. send the email to yourself. detach the received file to download. use finder and display the info for the file. No description or keywords. You could also export the image straight from the mail.app to Photos and again, no Description or Keywords. Try it again but select Actual size and you should see that it works OK

Sep 13, 2016 12:36 PM in response to mikemyersN8

I should add that most of the time I expect to be sending an original, full-size, jpg image to people using a Windows PC and Microsoft Outlook, and also to those using the Windows PC and GMAIL.

I can attach samples of what I see....

This is my GMAIL folder - only the second email, with the paperclip at the right, can be saved from the attachment.

User uploaded file

This is what I see when I open the email with the paperclip, allowing me to download it:

User uploaded file

....and this is what I always get when I select any email without a paperclip icon, to try to save the image - I can only save a copy of the embedded image, and the computer will create a new file name for the image. All the EXIF data will be lost...:

User uploaded file

Sep 18, 2016 7:38 PM in response to mikemyersN8

Mike, in summary you can change attachment behaviour, but it's universal.

If Mail is open, quit it. Open the Terminal (Applications → Utilities) Enter the following command:

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes

Once you restart Mail.app any email messages that you send or receive will display attachments as icons, not inline. If you later you decide you want to change your preference back to viewing attachments inline simply repeat the above command but change the “yes” at the end to “false” (without the quotes). Note that this method is universal. Meaning all attachments, including those that are simply graphics (such as in email signatures) will be sent as attachments - so your messages may no longer have the desired appearance.

This is referenced from: http://katiefloyd.com/blog/get-rid-of-inline-attachments-in-apple-mail-revisited

Sep 19, 2016 7:19 AM in response to Hawkaye

Hawkaye, I would like someone at Apple to try this out, before I start adjusting settings that I don't understand.

The problem isn't changing the attached images to appear as an image or an icon - I can do that by selecting "windows friendly attachments". The problem is to get the receiving system (in my case, GMAIL) to treat the image as an attachment, so I can click on "save as" and save the original image to my computer. I found some other commands that I can try:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------

The Terminal command to enable in-line attachments (attachments appear as documents displayed in-line)

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing 0

The Terminal command to disable in-line attachments (attachments appear as icons)

defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing 1

Quit Mail.app

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Copy one of the boldface command strings above by triple-clicking that line.

Paste it into Terminal

Wait for the Terminal prompt to reappear

Reopen Mail.app

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

Actually, I couldn't care less how the images appear, image, icon, whatever. My goal is to get GMAIL to show the email with the paper clip indicating an attachment, which will allow me to save the attached file.

Sep 19, 2016 8:19 AM in response to mikemyersN8

The issue is that there is very little standardisation in email. it has evolved enormously, but there is no central agreement for how things should work, except from the very earliest days - hence using plain text. The issues you refer to crop of from time to time between Mail and other apps on other OSes, and between other apps/OSes and mail. It's because there is no standardisation.

Sep 19, 2016 9:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

Update - I was wrong. Plain text didn't work any better. No paperclip.

If I rename the attached file from 'image3.jpg' to 'image3.abc' everything works fine.

The Mail.app software sees that the attachment is an image, so it messes things up. It shouldn't do anything at all, just send an attached file along with the email. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand????

If Apple considered that there are serious professionals using the MacBook Pro, and not just consumers, they would fix this problem so everyone can use Mail.app ....not just consumers.

I am getting rather fed up with the whole process. How something so simple and basic can be so messed up..... the whole problem is with Mail.app and as soon as I find something I like more, it's going to be history. Even if I have to buy another copy of Microsoft Office!!!

Using Mail app with jpg attachments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.