Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Interference on MacBook Pro

Hello World! It's my first time asking a question here. I have a MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012, and I am having trouble with the Bluetooth connection between my devices. Last year, I bought an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and once in a while (about 3 times in a day), the message "Keyboard Disconnected" followed by "Keyboard Connected" appeared. It bothered me but it resolves itself very quickly, so I don't care much. Last month, I moved to a new house, and now I can't use Airdrop at all with my iPhone 5s. I can't use Airdrop while I am in my house; I tried in other places and it worked (maybe I was lucky). I have already done everything I could find on the internet (reset bluetooth.plist files, changed my router to another -I do have 2.4ghz Wi-Fi, but in my previous home Airdrop did work fine-, reset NVRAM and SMC, turned off both devices and reset the Bluetooth module). So Airdrop doesn't work since a month ago. Also, I have a Bluetooth speaker, and whenever I pair it with my Mac and the distance between them changes, the music lags, like it is some kind of interference. This doesn't occur when I pair the speaker with other devices (iPhone, iPods), only with my Mac. I'm starting to think it has a problem with the Bluetooth chip, since the keyboard intermittently disconnects, the music in my speaker lags and I can't use Airdrop. Is there any way to change the Bluetooth channel, like you can with your Wi-Fi? Is there any way to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 13" Mid 2012

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 5:03 PM

3 replies

Sep 14, 2016 2:15 PM in response to etiennecelery

Hey etiennecelery,

If I understand correctly, you are having trouble connecting a Bluetooth device with your computer. Since your device works in other locations and this problem happens only in one location, this seems like an interference issue. I would recommend you read this article, it may be able to help troubleshoot the issue.

Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support

To minimize interference between your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices, try the following:

1. Change channels on your wireless network. For AirPort Base Stations or AirPort Time Capsule, reset the base station and it will attempt to use the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels with the least interference when it starts up.
  2. Connect to a 5 GHz wireless network (if possible).
  3. Move your computer and Wi-Fi router (like your AirPort Base Station) closer to each other.
  4. Minimize the number of active Bluetooth wireless devices you have connected to your computer or nearby.

Wireless Diagnostics can also help you evaluate your Wi-Fi environment.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Sep 14, 2016 2:24 PM in response to Teddy_B

Thank you for your kind response. However, I've already read the article, and as I said; 1) It isn't a Wi-Fi interference, because if I turn my router off, the problem persists; 2) I live in a remote area so there aren't any other Wi-Fi connections; 3) There aren't any other Bluetooth wireless devices connected or nearby; 4) Moving my computer or iPhone closer to each other doesn't help at all and Airdrop doesn't work at all in my house.

I tried today Airdrop at my university and it worked flawlessly, so it must be an interference issue as you said, but I can't figure out what may be the cause or the device interfering.

Bluetooth Interference on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.