Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i listen to all songs by an artist (without shuffle)

Hi,

With the new music app on IOS 10, how do you listen to all songs by an artisit without shuffle?

I prefer to listen to all albums by an artist in the order they were on each album (and then move onto the next album when that's done) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that in the new music app. Playing my music like has gotten harder and harder with each update to the music app over the years.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2016 11:06 PM

Open settings -> music -> sort songs and albums and select 'by artist.'

In the music app choose Songs.

You will now see that all the songs are sorted by artist alphabetically. Just scroll down to the first song of the artist of your choice and hit play.

Alternatively you can always create a playlist.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2016 11:06 PM in response to Keelur

Open settings -> music -> sort songs and albums and select 'by artist.'

In the music app choose Songs.

You will now see that all the songs are sorted by artist alphabetically. Just scroll down to the first song of the artist of your choice and hit play.

Alternatively you can always create a playlist.

Sep 28, 2016 3:25 AM in response to Kiniv

I have 9000 downloaded songs in my library and I don't have this problem.

There'a also a different solution. Start with the first album of your favorite artist. Then add next albums using play next and play later. You can then tap the repeat button and Music app will play your selected albums in a loop.

If that doesn't satisfy you you can suggest some changes directly to apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

We are trying to help you. If you feel that finding a solution for you is an insult, maybe you should seek help elsewhere.

Aug 3, 2017 8:52 AM in response to corelle

Alternatively, for only the music in your library, you can do this:

When in Artist "sort by album" mode, hold your thumb on the album you would like to start with. Select "play". Next, hold your thumb on the next album you want and select "play later", and continue until you have all your albums.

I would suggest to do this once and then save it as a playlist... it does seem like a lot of work for something they used to have.

Sep 15, 2016 10:37 PM in response to Keelur

Ok, I've found a semi-solution (unless someone has a better one), it's not perfect, but you can play all the songs/albums in order. First you have to make sure you have the repeat on.

Tap the artist link, it'll take you to all the albums, then tap Shuffle and it'll start playing, then tap the song at the bottom of your screen and go into the song, then tap the shuffle button to unshuffle. Now it will continue to play all the songs in order from one album to the next.

The only thing is that the first song you play will not necessarily be the first song from the first album, but once you unshuffle it, it'll continue to play in order from that point on.

I hope that's not too confusing.

Sep 28, 2016 2:54 AM in response to ADAMdotK

That doesn't really a solution. That's an insult.
Firstly, when you have thousands of songs it's hard to find when artist starts.
But most importantly, with this approach you can't loop one artist. It will move on to different.
And creating playlists? Really? That's Apple recommendation?!
I can "feel" how Apple cares about customers. Removing nice and simple solution and force them to use time wasting one. Great job.

Sep 28, 2016 5:55 AM in response to ADAMdotK

Apologies for the words I used, it wasn’t directed at you, but to the situation in general.
Playlist solution was obvious to me, but it’s tedious to create playlist for each Artists when previously it was working automatically.
Songs solution doesn’t work for me as it does not create loop. And searching works alright till the moment you want to find non English Artists and you need to scroll, can’t use right side quick scroll to the letter.
Adding next Albums works when you have few albums, but when you have full collection for the artists (like 15 albums) not really.

I was hoping 3D Touch will fix it, but now when I have iPhone 7 I can 3D touch on Album and start playing it, why not Artist?
Apple constantly redesigns something which works just fine and suddenly very useful features are dropped. Not the first time that happens even with Music App. I’m loyal customer, but that’s so annoying. Will write feedback. Thanks for the link.

Nov 11, 2016 12:04 AM in response to Keelur

Ran into the same problem.

It's ridiculous; in iOS 6 this was all so easy. Every iteration since then has made it harder to do simple things.

That said, I found another way after reading this thread. Go to the Search button at the bottom and search for the artist's name. Hopefully it is unique, and when you get the list, click show all next to songs, then hit the shuffle icon.

Seriously, why don't we have a shuffle all option in artist view?

Nov 17, 2016 7:02 AM in response to ADAMdotK

This would not be helpful if I want to switch between the artists in similar fashion (all songs of a single artist in order of the albums) it is not feasible to use the play next option and it would be a totally nightmare to create hundreds of playlists, one for each artist. Would it be possible for Apple to look into this and consider what they have before?

how do i listen to all songs by an artist (without shuffle)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.