Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is 3rd generation Apple TV still HomeKit compatible?

Previously a 3rd generation or newer Apple TV could enable remote access to HomeKit accessories. The documentation on this page refers to the 4th generation Apple TV. Moreover, my 3rd generation Apple TV now shows up as "disabled" in the Home app. Is the 3rd generation Apple TV no longer supported as it relates to this functionality?

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 6:39 PM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2016 10:54 PM in response to patricklyons

I had the same issue: before the iOS 10 update my Apple TV 3 worked well as a remote hub. After the update it shows up in the new Home app as a hub but disabled. I had also enabled an iPad running iOS 10 as a hub. After disabling the iPad as a hub in the Home settings on the iPad, then the Apple TV 3 switched to enabled. Also, I had to enable two factor authentication for iCloud and sign out sign back in onthe Apple TV.

Dec 13, 2016 12:23 PM in response to patricklyons

Yes, this issue is a bit maddening. I have 3 Apple TVs at 3 different locations (a total of 2 different local area networks). The Apple TV v4 seems to work fine with HomeKit, but the Apple TV v3 was showing as disabled, and after trying a few different things with it, it no longer shows up at all now!

(Yes, all logged in to the same iCloud account. Yes, 2-factor authentication enabled. Yes, key-chain enabled for iCloud. Yes, updated Apple TVs to latest firmware version. Yes, rebooted Apple TV / logged out of iCloud and logged out / rebooted / logged back in, etc. etc. rebooted in various combinations.)

Apple's software quality seems to be spotty at best and poor at worst, and the software usability is simply awful. I was only able to get the Apple TV v4 working thanks to articles written by others who encountered these inane challenges, but I haven't found anything that works (in my environment) to get the Apple TV v3 working with HomeKit.

Is 3rd generation Apple TV still HomeKit compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.