Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get Mickey/Minnie to speak the time - Watch OS 3

I recently updated my Watch to OS 3 and can not get Mickey/Minnie to speak the time when tapped. I have already made sure that "Tap to Speak Time" was selected on (both watch and phone). Watch is not in Silent Mode and the volume is up. I have restarted both the watch and phone and that didn't change anything. Am I missing something?

Watch Sport 42MM (1st gen), watchOS 3

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 11:37 PM

20 replies

Sep 17, 2017 12:16 AM in response to F1FTY01F1FTY

It should not be necessary un unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch.

If the feature is not working as expected, then in order to use the Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse watch faces with their Tap to Speak Time feature, follow these steps:

• Select the Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse watch face:

Customize your watch face

• Check that Tap to Speak Time is enabled:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Sounds & Haptics - turn on Tap to Speak Time.

• When viewing the time on your watch, swipe up on the display to open Control Centre.

Check that Silent Mode is not enabled:

• Ensure that your watch has access to Wi-Fi:
    • Check that your watch is connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth (Connected + green phone icon) and that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi.
    • Or, if your iPhone is not currently connected via Bluetooth, check that your watch has connected to a trusted Wi-Fi network as a fallback (Connected + green cloud icon).
    • About Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on Apple Watch - Apple Support
  • Place your watch on the charger, connected to power.
  • Wait for around 15 minutes (it may take significantly longer) for the voices to download to your watch.
  • Test by waking the screen and then tapping the watch face.

If the feature still does not work as expected, then it may help to close the Watch app and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch before repeating the steps:

More information:

Hear Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse speak the time - Apple Support

Sep 14, 2016 8:32 AM in response to F1FTY01F1FTY

Minnie Mouse is speaking beautifully for me, even with the paired iPhone turned off and no Wi-Fi connection. I tested this while being out of reach of our university Wi-Fi.

But I was connected to Wi-Fi and the paired iPhone unlocked when I first added the Minnie watch face.

Tapping to speak the time worked only after I added the watch face a second time and switched between Mickey and Minnie.

Unable to get Mickey/Minnie to speak the time - Watch OS 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.