Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notifications for text messages not working on iOS10

I just updated to iOS10 today and now suddenly my notifications for texts are not coming through. Previously, my text messages would cause my phone to vibrate and light up the home screen, where I could read the message. Now, I am not getting a vibration notifcation, nor is my screen lighting up. None of my settings have changed. Can anyone help?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 9:20 AM

17 replies

Sep 15, 2016 3:50 PM in response to manandaca

Hey manandaca,

I see that you have updated your iPhone 6s Plus to iOS 10, and are running into some unexpected behavior from your Messages notifications. The first action we should take for this issue is to review your notifications settings to make sure that the settings reflect the notifications that you wish to receive from your Messages app. Here's a link to our help article that will help you locate and adjust your notifications settings for your Messages app:

Manage message notifications and privacy - iPhone

Thanks for reaching out to us in the Apple Support Community, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Sep 19, 2016 10:03 PM in response to braden85

I also am having a version of this issue. In my case, notifications are working fine, except when the screen is off. The screen does not light up, nor does it play the tone. When I then turn the screen on manually, the notification is there. And if the lockscreen is already on, then the notification occurs with the tone.

FYI, my settings in Notifications>Messages are:

Allow: On

Show in Notification Center: On

Sounds: Glass

Badge App Icon: On

Show on Lock Screen: On

Alert Style when unlocked: Banners

Show Previews On

Repeat Alerts Once

Any suggestions?

Sep 23, 2016 6:24 PM in response to braden85

I have the same issue with this. I get an audio notification maybe 10% of the time. The other 90%, I do net get the notification or anything (Phone does not light up, vibrate, or play the selected tone). Once I tap the home button, the banner is there with the message.

What could be causing it to work some of the time and not work the rest of the time?

Oct 12, 2016 12:11 PM in response to manandaca

I was having the problem also where I was not getting the notifications when my phone was locked. After much research and messing around I figured out that I had the "manual" setting in "do not disturbed" turned on and I had silence set at "only while iphone is locked".

Once I turned off "manual" under do not disturb my notifications started to work again.

Also another indicator that this was turned on, was a moon symbol on the top of my screen.

Notifications for text messages not working on iOS10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.