Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Searching annotated PDF's in a folder

I have opened a pdf file with Preview.....then opened the Tools menu...then Annotate in the drop down menu....then note. I have then added a note (annotations embedded in PDF). Now, I want to open a folder and search all the annotated PDF's in it for a particular verbiage in the notes that are embedded (without opening each individual PDF). Is this possible? Thank you!

OS X Yosemite (10.10), Safari 9.1.3 (10601.7.8

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2016 9:08 AM

You cannot search for annotations in a PDF from Spotlight/Finder, but you can search for keywords associated with the PDF. The Preview application's Inspector has the means to add keywords. You must save the PDF afterward.

Here, I have added the “PDF Keyword” as a new keyword. You can add more via the + symbol.

User uploaded file

In Spotlight, or the Finder, you can find this specific PDF document with the following syntax — quotes for whitespace keywords, or multiple keywords, and no quotes for a single word without spaces.

kind:PDF "PDF Keyword"

These keywords will be listed in the Finder Get Info panel for the PDF too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2016 9:08 AM in response to Paula Jo

You cannot search for annotations in a PDF from Spotlight/Finder, but you can search for keywords associated with the PDF. The Preview application's Inspector has the means to add keywords. You must save the PDF afterward.

Here, I have added the “PDF Keyword” as a new keyword. You can add more via the + symbol.

User uploaded file

In Spotlight, or the Finder, you can find this specific PDF document with the following syntax — quotes for whitespace keywords, or multiple keywords, and no quotes for a single word without spaces.

kind:PDF "PDF Keyword"

These keywords will be listed in the Finder Get Info panel for the PDF too.

Searching annotated PDF's in a folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.