Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Keeps Syncing

Since the update yesterday to itunes 12.5 and iOS 10, itunes keeps syncing the same songs over and over to my iPhone

Already erased all settings and restored a backup

Removed all Songs and started again

The songs are not in a smart playlist

Anything else I can try

I also posted this in the iPhone section but I think it's not the correct place for that

iTunes 12.5 keeps syncing same songs

Thanks in advance

Posted on Sep 14, 2016 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2017 3:23 PM

Let me share what I have found with this - it has been a nightmare thanks to Apple's sloppy implementation of the new "Work" field.

The constant sync'ing is indeed because of the "Work" field being populated, For mp3's, the Work field in iTunes is stored in the "TIT1" frame, aka CONTENTGROUP. If you are using CONTENTGROUP in a 3rd party tagger to store mood & style keywords and have enjoyed seeing them import into iTunes' Grouping field for referencing in smartplaylists, those days are over, that data is now in "Work". And Work is nothing but problems and causes constant resyncing issues, etc., and however long it takes Apple to fix this is irrelevant, you probably want Grouping to work again like it used to. iTunes now read/writes Grouping to a new mp3 id3 frame called "GRP1". So if you want to retain all your hard-earned mood & style keywords that used to be in Grouping, you need to find a 3rd party tagger that supports both the TIT1 (CONTENTGROUP) frame and the new GRP1 (iTunes Grouping) frame. You can then copy CONTENTGROUP to GRP1 before getting rid of CONTENTGROUP which is now useless for anything but what it was designed for, the Classical "Work". Fortunately a couple of taggers have started supporting both tags... Mp3tag calls it "GROUPING". And thanks to Mp3tag's recent update, my iTunes library and syncs are functional again. Here are the steps:

1) use 3rd party tagger to copy "CONTENTGROUP" to "GROUPING", and delete CONTENTGROUP tag.

2) go into iTunes, select all files, Get Info, check "use work and movement", clear out Work field. Uncheck "use work and movement", update. This is the initial first step needed to get all that pesky CONTENTGROUP stuff out of Work in iTunes' library and stop the madness. Should not have to ever repeat this step unless you ever import songs into iTunes with CONTENTGROUP populated in the future.

3) re-import all affected songs into iTunes's library. Sometimes iTunes is flakey about reimporting into existing fields and ignores your attempt, there are iTunes "refresh library from file" scripts out there to ensure all fields are refreshed from the file tags, use them. Grouping should now be populated and Work empty. Constant resyncing should cease, and all references to Grouping in Smartplaylists should work again like they used to.

As long as any songs are imported into iTunes with CONTENTGROUP, aka TIT1 frame, aka "Work" populated, the problem will return. As long as songs are imported into iTunes with GROUPING, aka GRP1 frame populated, iTunes Grouping will work, and won't constantly resync.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2017 3:23 PM in response to jdfromhuntsville

Let me share what I have found with this - it has been a nightmare thanks to Apple's sloppy implementation of the new "Work" field.

The constant sync'ing is indeed because of the "Work" field being populated, For mp3's, the Work field in iTunes is stored in the "TIT1" frame, aka CONTENTGROUP. If you are using CONTENTGROUP in a 3rd party tagger to store mood & style keywords and have enjoyed seeing them import into iTunes' Grouping field for referencing in smartplaylists, those days are over, that data is now in "Work". And Work is nothing but problems and causes constant resyncing issues, etc., and however long it takes Apple to fix this is irrelevant, you probably want Grouping to work again like it used to. iTunes now read/writes Grouping to a new mp3 id3 frame called "GRP1". So if you want to retain all your hard-earned mood & style keywords that used to be in Grouping, you need to find a 3rd party tagger that supports both the TIT1 (CONTENTGROUP) frame and the new GRP1 (iTunes Grouping) frame. You can then copy CONTENTGROUP to GRP1 before getting rid of CONTENTGROUP which is now useless for anything but what it was designed for, the Classical "Work". Fortunately a couple of taggers have started supporting both tags... Mp3tag calls it "GROUPING". And thanks to Mp3tag's recent update, my iTunes library and syncs are functional again. Here are the steps:

1) use 3rd party tagger to copy "CONTENTGROUP" to "GROUPING", and delete CONTENTGROUP tag.

2) go into iTunes, select all files, Get Info, check "use work and movement", clear out Work field. Uncheck "use work and movement", update. This is the initial first step needed to get all that pesky CONTENTGROUP stuff out of Work in iTunes' library and stop the madness. Should not have to ever repeat this step unless you ever import songs into iTunes with CONTENTGROUP populated in the future.

3) re-import all affected songs into iTunes's library. Sometimes iTunes is flakey about reimporting into existing fields and ignores your attempt, there are iTunes "refresh library from file" scripts out there to ensure all fields are refreshed from the file tags, use them. Grouping should now be populated and Work empty. Constant resyncing should cease, and all references to Grouping in Smartplaylists should work again like they used to.

As long as any songs are imported into iTunes with CONTENTGROUP, aka TIT1 frame, aka "Work" populated, the problem will return. As long as songs are imported into iTunes with GROUPING, aka GRP1 frame populated, iTunes Grouping will work, and won't constantly resync.

Mar 16, 2017 8:52 AM in response to trelain

Thank you! I feel this finally worked. I did not follow all your instructions but you pointed me in the right direction.

Background. In the early years of iTunes and iPods/iPhones, with space a premium, I was using the "Grouping" field to filter out my songs that were doubles. I have all the Big Shiny Tunes CD's in addition to some of the original CD's/Songs by the artists. I did not want the same song on the 2GB iPod (early years as I said). So I would write "Double" in the Grouping. I never cleared this field over the years and quite frankly forgot it was even populated.

What I did:

1) Made a copy of iTunes library

2) Sorted iTunes Library on "Grouping"

3) Selected all songs that contained any values (in my case "Double, NOT, iPod)

4) Command I (for information)

5) Clicked on "Use work and movement" check box

6) Cleared "work" field by setting values to null or blank

7) Unchecked "Use work and movement"

8) Clicked on "Grouping" field

9) Cleared all values setting it to null or blank

10) Click Ok and let iTunes update these fields

Repeat the 10 steps for "Work" field ensuring all songs are null or blank in the "Grouping" and "Work"

Tested this on my iPad and iPhone SE by playing some of the songs that had those fields populated. On three different sync no songs have been re-synced / copied to my devices.

I realize this is a work around and not everyone is going to have this issue if they have never used the Grouping field before. It works for me and I hope it works for you!

Cheers!

-sean

Sep 18, 2016 4:22 AM in response to mjcm_nl

Sorry to Bump this, but this is really annoying

At the moment I have 31xx songs in the iPhone and they all re-sync every time.

Steps I already have undertaken to solve this

1. Wiped iPhone and restored from backup (3x already)
  2. Removed all songs and only synced 1-2 songs (Purchased AAC Audio Files)
  3. Only Synced Non Smart Playlists

This iTunes library syncs with an iPod and iPhone and when syncing the same playlists on an iPod (Touch) it only syncs them once BUT NOT on the iPhone.

Any suggestions ???

Sep 22, 2016 6:17 PM in response to Brian Bandit

I think you may be right. Apple makes it extremely hard to see just what is going on during syncing (medium gray text on light gray background? Come on, Apple) but it does seem that my songs that are repeating all have "Custom Lyrics."

Since "Custom Lyrics" is new to the latest version of iTunes, that means it is a bug that needs to be resolved by the Apple "geniuses". How do we report this. I don't think they read these posts.

Sep 23, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Brian Bandit

Why is it then that my iPod (Touch) which syncs the same Playlists from the Same Library doesn't do this ?

Yesterday, when I synced my iPhone it took 4 hours to Sync (3xxx songs), it had finished the copy but there was a message in iTunes which said "Waiting for items to copy". After 4 hours I finally pulled the plug and erased the phone one more time (and restored a backup) for the f... 4th time 👿

Sep 23, 2016 7:28 PM in response to mjcm_nl

Did another test

Ran itsfv on my PC and "played" some songs (cheating)

Next Sync : Total 582 Songs - 456 Synced

Ran itsfv again and "played" again some songs (cheating)

Next Sync: Total 582 Songs - 127 Synced

So it definitely is because the songs got "played" and the last played date is recent that they aren't synced anymore. Very strange this, but I now have a solution. Thanks Brian Bandit

Question, as itsfv isn't developed anymore does anyone have an alternative (maybe a VBS script) to increase the playcount AND the "Last Played Date" ?

Sep 23, 2016 9:37 PM in response to mjcm_nl

As I can't edit my post anymore, I really find it strange that this is going on ONLY on my iPhone and not on my iPod touch which syncs the same playlists and the same songs.

I installed on both iOS10.0.2 as I thought it would solve this issue, but unfortunately it didn't, but we now have a work around thanks to Brian Bandit. Thanks very much Brian, really appreciated.

iTunes Keeps Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.