Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 10 to UConnect via USB

Upgraded to iOS 10 recently like many other people and don't really see any issues.

However, when I plug into my truck (2016 Ram with UConnect 8.4N) I no longer get any audio play through. The data comes across, so I can see what is playing, but no audio through the truck. The audio instead is coming from the phone (iPhone 6).

Also, I have a 2015 Challenger with the same radio (UConnect 8.4N), and I have the same issue. I can see whats playing on the screen but the audio only plays through the phone.

Anybody else experiencing this? Does Apple know of the issue? Does Chrysler?

iPhone 6, iOS 10, UConnect

Posted on Sep 15, 2016 5:59 AM

43 replies

Jan 25, 2017 12:07 PM in response to jcd1877

I still have the issue where my phone only plays music through uconnect and if I try to play anything else from an app it stays mute. I contacted uconnect and they said they dont test apps and uconnect is designed to only play music and phone. So it is a uConnect issue because they don't updadte their software to be compatible with the new IOS. That's what is causing all the problems. I never had issues with the system in my old Kia- I wish Crysler/Jeep would take responsability in fixing this for us iPhone users!

Sep 15, 2016 6:13 PM in response to thejpesola

Hi thejpesola!

I understand you're having issues with your iPhone not playing audio through your UConnect 8.4N. I know it's important to have Bluetooth audio working right, I'm happy to offer some help. Please try all of the suggestions in this article, including contacting Chrysler to inquire about a firmware update for the UConnect 8.4N as well.

Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Sep 18, 2016 6:17 PM in response to jeremy_v

Jeremy - this is not a bluetooth issue. In a vehicle with uConnect, when an a iphone (or ipod) is connect to it via a usb syc cable, the in car stereo detects the iphone (iphone music) and automatically switches to it.

Since iOS 10, the car will still detect the iphone being connected via usb syn cable. It still switches automatically to ipod input in the car stereo. You can still see what is playing on the car stereo screen etc. BUT, the audio comes out of the phone speakers and no the car.

The bluetooth connect to the car audio for the purposes of phone calls etc still works fine.

This issue has happened to a number of phones we have updated to iOS 10. Older phones are still OK. So it is an iOS 10 issue.

Sep 20, 2016 9:19 AM in response to jcd1877

So, I though I would give an update with where I'm at with the issue.

I got a new iPhone 7 and it is up to date with 10.0.1. When I first plugged to both vehicles, it worked as it should and everything seemed fine. (I hadn't done any updates to the cars yet.) However, shortly after, I'm back to the same issue. I plug it in and the data goes to the car but the audio plays through the phone. And for a note on the bluetooth. The phone functions work, but the audio does not. It keeps saying there is no device connected.

Now I have looked and will be trying it out after I update the vehicles. For my 2016 Ram, I have an update available that came out on Sept 6, 2016 and for the 2015 Challenger that came out back in April 2016.

After getting those installed and tested, I will update this thread.

Sep 20, 2016 10:50 AM in response to thejpesola

I have an iPhone 6 and usually play music through my A/V receiver by connecting to a USB port. After upgrading to iOS 10, I have the same symptoms explained here: the receiver shows what song is playing so the connection is good and the iPhone is charging but the audio comes out through the phone, not the receiver.

BLuetooth is unrelated.

ANy suggestions? It feels like a bug.

John

Sep 20, 2016 12:12 PM in response to thejpesola

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram w/o navigation. It is currently at version (the latest available for my model) MY13_MY14_RA3_16_13_13. With my iPhone 7 (ios10) unplugged from any usb port (I never use them), the only way I get turn by turn navigation from my iPhone Maps app is to have my radio set to bluetooth. The phone also does not ring through the radio speakers. My iphone 6 worked perfectly. Called support at Unconnect..they had no clue as to when an update would be available to fix these issues. I'm seriously thinking about returning my iPhone 7.

scott

Sep 20, 2016 3:22 PM in response to thejpesola

Just an update for you all....

I had my 2015 Jeep serviced the other day. They needed to do the safety recall for the park brake issue. This is just a firmware update for the transmission module. Along with this they updated 4 other modules, one of which was in the in-car system.

I can report that the phone is now working properly. I've also checked 2 other iPhone 5S's that had been updated to iOS 10 and displayed the same issue. These both work as well.

So I don't know if was the firmware upgrade or the fact thye would have rebooted the whole system in the process that fixed it.

Maybe rather than a service check - could you try fulling the fuse on the in-car system to force it do a full hard reboot??

Cheers

Sep 26, 2016 9:33 AM in response to thejpesola

Having the same issue here with my '16 Grand Cherokee. I am pretty sure it was working under iOS9, but since upgrading to 10, audio only plays through the iPhone and does not have a USB/Connect option when I try to change the output device. I am able to fully browse / control the audio with the headunit.

Looked at the uConnect website and it says there are no upgrades for my system at this time.

Sep 27, 2016 7:08 AM in response to CraigHwk

So after upgrading my '16 Ram to the latest software update available, and having my iPhone 7 at 10.0.1 everything seems to be working. I've been trying this out for the past few days and its still working. (As a note, I have not tried it with my iPhone 6 yet.)

Now, one thing I would suggest to others and something I noticed that worked before I upgraded the truck, was to try restarting the phone. I noticed that this also fixed it.

As for my '15 Challenger, it is also working and I have not performed the latest update for it.

Also, I have sometimes seen an issue where I wouldn't get any playback at all until I go to the next song. I use Slacker, so it may have just been a network issue and skipping the song cleared it.

In addition, there is now another update for iOS 10 (10.0.2). Suppose to have a fix for headphone audio controls which may be somewhat related to our issues with plugging into the vehicles. I would say it is definitely worth a try for those of you that are still having issues.

iOS 10 to UConnect via USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.